BLACK GARS?

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
E_americanus;2966710; said:
that's a relatively frequently encountered juvenile gar pattern...they look like this especially when small. it will look like a normal Florida gar as it grows--
--solomon
I had a friend tell me it was a hybrid.. its a lot more aggressive than any florida i have ever heard of

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
r3d;2966734; said:
I had a friend tell me it was a hybrid.. its a lot more aggressive than any florida i have ever heard of
it's very very unlikely a hybrid; small gars are all aggressive eaters at that size/stage. i'm 99.9% sure it's a Florida gar--
--solomon

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
E_americanus;2966745; said:
it's very very unlikely a hybrid; small gars are all aggressive eaters at that size/stage. i'm 99.9% sure it's a Florida gar--
--solomon
ahh well i really hope not, only reason i got it was because i didnt think it was a florida :screwy:

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
E_americanus;2966358; said:
happens around spawning time quite frequently in several species (potentially all of them). melanistic gars also occur, and this has been noted in several gar species. some maintain their black coloration, some lose the black pigmentation and return to "normal" gars.--
--solomon

PS-- there are several photos online of melanistic gars.

So do some remain jet black or do they all eventually return to normal?

How long do they keep their black coloration during the spawning season?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Gr8KarmaSF;2966756; said:
So do some remain jet black or do they all eventually return to normal?

How long do they keep their black coloration during the spawning season?
black due to spawning would only last for the spawning season and fade shortly thereafter. if it is a true melanistic gar, then they would likely retain the coloration for life (if the fish is already large).

at small sizes fishes are likely to change (or at least have a greater potential). i had a small Florida that was born yellow but turned normal within weeks of growing past 8-10". it's hard to say for sure about an individual fish, we can only speculate. with pics we may be able to make some better guesses--
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
:popcorn:

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Snook - Any idea what size they will be? Any idea how long they would have retained their coloration?

E_americanus;2966806; said:
i had a small Florida that was born yellow but turned normal within weeks of growing past 8-10". it's hard to say for sure about an individual fish
So are they more likely stable in color after 10in? I know its only a guess but the bigger the better in terms of retaining coloration right?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Gr8KarmaSF;2966893; said:
Snook - Any idea what size they will be? Any idea how long they would have retained their coloration?

So are they more likely stable in color after 10in? I know its only a guess but the bigger the better in terms of retaining coloration right?
bigger and outside of spawning season would be a good indication (or at least higher likelihood) of retaining the pattern, yes. we'll know more when we see pics though--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store