Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
close to 0
If yes, what is your nitrite?
close to 0
If yes, what is your nitrate?
close to 0
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every month
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
i m looking for some help i have a few fish and each one is different with its fins or less worse i dont know i have been taking care of fish for 13 years but i didn't start worrying about diseases since last 5 years but this is getting out of hand even after i have probably handled 1000s of fish in numbers. black shark is around 30 cms and has the worse its fins have 2 3 white spots and quite torn rest of the fish i have in my tank that is at 26 27 c mostly its GH hardness is very high its at 600 ppm right now and i'll be doing a water change and going to fish shop tomorrow hopefully and lower the hardness. but hoping to find some help but the fish are
5 bronze cory
2 young Tinfoil barbs
2 young silver sharks
1 5 year old tilapia
6 gold fish'' 2 shubunkin' 3 comets' and other is breed i know is different but cant name
4 1 year old brislenose catfish
1 1 year old common pleco
1 adult redtail shark
6 angel fish temporary i m growing them up and i probably should of quarantine them before putting them in my 800 litre display tank
1 semi adult red claw crayfish
1 pearl cichlid
1 T-bar cichlid lost its mate cause i didn't catch the dropsy in time
tank is runed but a 2400 L/H canister filter clean well with tank water every 2 weeks
goldfish have had fin tearing problems for over 5 months its didn't travel to other fish and there hard to catch to put in methylene blue so yeah i put angel fish in 2 months ago black shark brislenoses pleco corys and goldfish got a lot worse in the last month probably up to a 20mm of difference of tearing i dont worry about water hardness often but most of the tanks i have are primed tape water ph 7.7 GH hardness normally 10 DKH 300 PPM ish i put some aquarium salt in 2 days ago and made everything worse and made GH go up to 600 PPM 204 grams of salt i had put some Indian almond leaves in to
Right now i moved all the tropical fish to a 300 litre tank with 30 ml of methylene blue and being runed with 2 large sponge filters i only have 1 300W heater i m getting more so the other fish in the display tank is the brislenose plecos and corys rest don't have fin tearing or much i can see at all even behaviour seems fine
its confusing i m not good with fin tearing and dont get it often and normally it doesn't become worse also doesn't bring white spots i dont know if this is the place to ask but if i can have directions to where to ask would be handle going to the fish shop doesn't help often i forget what they say when i get home so yeah cheers have a good one

Last edited:

SirDonutATSM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2023
Brisbane Australia
i m looking for some help i have a few fish and each one is different with its fins or less worse i dont know i have been taking care of fish for 13 years but i didn't start worrying about diseases since last 5 years but this is getting out of hand even after i have probably handled 1000s of fish in numbers. black shark is around 30 cms and has the worse its fins have 2 3 white spots and quite torn rest of the fish i have in my tank that is at 26 27 c mostly its GH hardness is very high its at 600 ppm right now and i'll be doing a water change and going to fish shop tomorrow hopefully and lower the hardness. but hoping to find some help but the fish are
5 bronze cory
2 young Tinfoil barbs
2 young silver sharks
1 5 year old tilapia
6 gold fish'' 2 shubunkin' 3 comets' and other is breed i know is different but cant name
1 adult redtail shark
6 angel fish temporary i m growing them up and i probably should of quarantine them before putting them in my 800 litre display tank
1 pearl cichlid
tank is runed but a 2400 L/H canister filter clean well with tank water every 2 weeks
goldfish have had fin tearing problems for over 5 months its didn't travel to other fish and there hard to catch to put in methylene blue so yeah i put angel fish in 2 months ago black shark brislenoses pleco corys and goldfish got a lot worse in the last month probably up to a 20mm of difference of tearing i dont worry about water hardness often but most of the tanks i have are primed tape water ph 7.7 GH hardness normally 10 DKH 300 PPM ish i put some aquarium salt in 2 days ago and made everything worse and made GH go up to 600 PPM 204 grams of salt i had put some Indian almond leaves in to
Right now i moved all the tropical fish to a 300 litre tank with 30 ml of methylene blue and being runed with 2 large sponge filters i only have 1 300W heater i m getting more so the other fish in the display tank is the brislenose plecos and corys rest don't have fin tearing or much i can see at all even behaviour seems fine
its confusing i m not good with fin tearing and dont get it often and normally it doesn't become worse also doesn't bring white spots i dont know if this is the place to ask but if i can have directions to where to ask would be handle going to the fish shop doesn't help often i forget what they say when i get home so yeah cheers have a good one
forgot to add i watch my fish for hours at times and no fighting beside little nips when getting in to each other space probably see it every 3 hours from all fish at times but nothing i see at helping the fin tearing

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
5 bronze cory
2 young Tinfoil barbs
2 young silver sharks
1 5 year old tilapia
1 adult redtail shark
1 pearl cichlid
QQ to clarify, all of these fish aren't in the same tank correct?

SirDonutATSM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2023
Brisbane Australia
QQ to clarify, all of these fish aren't in the same tank correct?
No have been all in the same tank since July last year I watch closely for a week nothing but territorial Problems but not often and no fish died Or had any problems with stress feeding they just started having fin problems In December All the fish but the cichlid and barb species are quite bad and black shark is getting white spots I had just moved the rest in to the tank with medication and hopefully going to the pet shop to pick up a few things for hardness and help if I remember it

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
No have been all in the same tank since July last year I watch closely for a week nothing but territorial Problems but not often and no fish died Or had any problems with stress feeding they just started having fin problems In December All the fish but the cichlid and barb species are quite bad and black shark is getting white spots I had just moved the rest in to the tank with medication and hopefully going to the pet shop to pick up a few things for hardness and help if I remember it
I'm sorry, I'm brain dead right now 😅, are all of these fish in the same tank or no? Also, what size tank is it?

SirDonutATSM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2023
Brisbane Australia
I'm sorry, I'm brain dead right now 😅, are all of these fish in the same tank or no? Also, what size tank is it?
right sorry not being super clear ASD ha also been spending the morning moving fish water changes such and such.
tank is 800 litre ish
dimension 6x2.2x2 feet. 183x70x60 cm
water is kept at 26 25 C
GH is normally at 300 PPM 16 DGH will be trying to get it lower.
rest of the water is clear and healthy.
fish are all the in the same tank have been since july they didn't have any troubles just goldfish have had fin tearing showing august got worse in December and all the other fish, but cichlids and barbs have very bad fin tearing but they all seem happy 1 of the older goldish do have stress scratches but is dying down
wont be going to fish shop today my little brother is sick and i m only a learner driver =/

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If there’s split fins, you most likely have an aggression issue, even if you can’t see it.
Any of the cichlids or the crayfish are an easy aggressor.
Without pics it’d hard to really say anything certain, but when red shark fins turn white, it’s often due to stress.

SirDonutATSM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2023
Brisbane Australia
i might put the redtail shark angel fish pearl cichlid and T-Bar cichlid in to a different tank after the treating
leave the rest in the display tank
goldfish tilapia brislenose pleco sucker catfish corys silver sharks tinfoil barbs
crayfish will go in a 200 litre and i'll get some guppies for it later
i got the tilapia when it was probably few days old it probably got out of its mother's mouth before it should of and i raised for the last 5 year its never been openly mean or anything its been quite calm likes humans now so yeah rest of them i m still learning about thanks for the tip mate if you dont mind i could use some tips on what should go to together i have 3 tanks 800 litre 300 and 200 only 1 powerful heater at moment getting more soon but i have 2 other 50 watts but thanks for the help have a great day mate

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Well, I think your problem has been figured out...you have all of those same fish in the tank, half of which shouldn't even go together. Definitely split those fish up into different tanks and see how things go. I would seriously reccomend putting the goldfish in their own tank, the same for the crayfish. How many tanks do you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store