Black water

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I've got 4 ITs with some sa cichlids, a polleni, clown loaches and sd. I've always liked the look of a blackwater tank and was wondering if anybody keeps/kept dats in this type of setup.

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Are your Dats doing alright in a blackwater setup? Assuming you did proceed with the intended setup since 1+ month ago..

Could be interesting this one..

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Are your Dats doing alright in a blackwater setup? Assuming you did proceed with the intended setup since 1+ month ago..

I've been working 60-80hrs a week lately so I had to back burner that idea. Job ends in December so maybe sometime around the holidays I will give it a try.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana

I took the plunge into black water Sunday night, still working out how much peat to use for the desired darkness. The dats are becoming more active with the lights on, but not out and about enough to get a lot of pics. Here's the only pic I've got so far, the biggest one is in his usual spot under the drift wood on the left and there's one under the wave maker.

IMG_20161121_180158.jpg

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
If you aren't trying to soften the Tank too much and it's more for asthetics, try using rooibos tea. It has some soothing properties and I used it with my rio negro heckle discus. You can buy it by the bag from amazon.com and it's way more cost effective and more environmentally sound than using peat moss. I used it in mesh bags placed into a HOB filter.

Here is a video of that setup. I used just enough rooibos to give it a slight tint.

Reactions: tlindsey

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
If you aren't trying to soften the Tank too much and it's more for asthetics, try using rooibos tea. It has some soothing properties and I used it with my rio negro heckle discus. You can buy it by the bag from amazon.com and it's way more cost effective and more environmentally sound than using peat moss. I used it in mesh bags placed into a HOB filter.

Here is a video of that setup. I used just enough rooibos to give it a slight tint.

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of that option but will look into it. Where those little earth eaters cupido?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of that option but will look into it. Where those little earth eaters cupido?
Don't mention it. It's a tip I picked up from the folks over at simplydiscus.com. They were a huge help when I was acclimating these heckels. And yes, those are cupido.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Again, rooibos tea doesn't lower pH like peat. But for whatever reason. It has soothing properties. I acclimated my heckels to 6.8 tap water with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store