BlackTopKing's "Stone Forest" Malawi Cichlids

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
Thing is I really like the pillars...maybe add more rock n pile the areas between the pillars, but maybe add a thicker amount to the pillars so the fish really cant pick

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i never thought of doing that for rocks. i will be setting up a 125 with all mbuna here soon and trying to figure out how to decorate it.

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
i never thought of doing that for rocks. i will be setting up a 125 with all mbuna here soon and trying to figure out how to decorate it.
I actually have been doing it for quite some time, I first tried the styrofoam version but found that it was always too dense and you ended up always being limited by weight downs and or silicone...me, i change my tank around enough to not want anything too fixed to use silicone in my tanks.

Plus, quickcrete has a chem in it that basically makes it harded fast (thus quick) but that chem also makes it weak (compared to concretes). Them chem in concrete that makes it strong (1000K 5000K ect) is toxic. So this slow cure will leach a chem in the tank that will kill the fish /plants...Quickcrete will not and will cure with in 72 hours (plus is non-toxic, as it is sold in some stores as a craft/hobby crete...kids, projects type stuff)...
long store short, quickcrete is safer then 75% of the aquarium decors sold at LFS (which 60% of are not even intended for aquarium use)

Greatstuff: this is toxic during cure times, so follow directions and plus 3days, but here is a cool factoid...greatstuff is water proof and in activated by air inorder to harden.

This is important, that you allow the greatstuff 2-3days to fully cure, dont pile a large amount at once (little at a time if your doing a big piece, so that the air is able to cure the inner areas) and Tempture will, re activate great stuff to swell....

how to control this?

spray the greatstuff, let it set for two days, cut out areas sections or carve (knife and sand paper) then hit with the heat gun or hairdryier, this will make sure that any chem agents left...are removed...re sheape if needed and ...cover with your crete...over all 7-10days depending on your design will be needed.

want to really do something cool...mix a lil arograte,crush coral or sand into the mix...paint?!, yes you can...quick crete dyes are non toxic too...or you can use a non toxic acrylic paint of your choice. this will now give you a rock that you really want and see in your mind verse what you can find ate the LFS or in woods,creeks ect....

i have made, faux rock,coral and driftwood all this way, single pieces and full backgrounds, personally and professionally...never had a death related to this method.

how did i learn of this?!

Aquarium company many moons ago who made faux biotopes for aquariums (such as camden aquarium)...

on large designs, 2pt foam can be used but the draw out time is much longer

ill have to post up some pics of what i have done before to give you some ideals.

goodnews on the tank...

im back down to 76* although the HVAC is still not done...I barrowed a window unit and set up in the living room...yup....cooling the tank down...

phew, what we do for these fish...just hope this SC 80+* sun stays at bay til the repairs are done

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
Well I am down today with the tank...

this week has been a trial of challenges, welcome back to the hobby...boy have i overlooked everything. LOL
Its like im thinking in the past...when i dont have the same tank,equipment, set up or water....and no two are the same.

So after losing some fish from the HVAC issues and a couple in the aftermath.

i went back to basics. I am not 100% sure how much Tempt will effect water quality as all my # are good except (per basic API testing ) the sudden and deep drop in PH after the last water change (still trying to cool the tank down and yes i know..im already rolling dice with too many water changes)
when it clicked....

Whats the PH at Tap, no way...could it be that low...could i be that stupid to not even check...yup, my emotional responses to the high water tempts and losing fish cause me to completely over look a very simple but dangerous factor.

And it is...low, like grow plants low at 6.5

So I have put back the rock and even added the pieces i made that didnt make the final cut sorta speak, added Seachem Malwai/TangBuffer ( not a fan of this approach) as of Friday Night and will be looking at getting more substrate.

As of today, the tank seems to be finally balancing back out... but seems lil too late for the smaller/younger guys.
Tempt, Hardeness and PH is stable (lil low @ 7.2ish) and Ammonia (NI/NA) are still 0....

So I guess we will see how things play out from here, but i think and feel as if ive done what i can with out causing anymore issues. Hopefully there are no more loses and things establish back to were i had it.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Your only filtration is an ac 300? That sounds abit light to me, toss a canister on there or something.

I normaly dont like african tanks, but yours looks fantastic, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
Thanks man,

My tanks are not of the norm so usually dont get alot of likes. But i will post up an updated picture of it with the rock back in...actually like it alot more now with the extra pieces.

I agree the AquaClear 300 is on the small side, but also the pump isnt the best either. I bought it used and fairly cheap so in some ways i cant compalin too much but am already kicking my self...

So I think this Temp/grow out tank will be a shorter term then first thought. I really want to do something better, just from scratch.

In mean time, i have thought about the canister as well but will have to make a stand for the tank then, this one is low (home made, but not my doing).
Have thought about just adding another pump to the sytem as well but...we will see once i get to the upgrading phase of things...

Goodnews is that the flip flopping of the tank seems to be over...or close to it, i went top to bottom on the tank today and its the first time since the HVAC is been this stable (HVAC is complete and finally working)

so am happy about that part.

BlackTopKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Summerville, SC
As for the sand, its actually play sand.
I like it bacause it light in color, dense and with a little crush itll do just as well as anything else. Not to mention its 3.95 for 50lb, i have 150lb in now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store