Bloat - Causes - Cures - and BIG Myths

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thank you for taking the time to post all that! Pablo?
No problem, glad to help. I know Pablo, but he's not me. :)

Neil

Countryboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Central NY
Great article. I have brought up this same subject on other forums and was told...THERE IS NO KNOWN CAUSE OF BLOAT. Nice huh? I am wondering why ppl think, or why is bloat contagious? Or is it? Can it really wipe out a whole tank or if the infected is removed will this take care of it?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I guess that for some people, ignorance is bliss?

And yes, like most pathogens, they can be spread from an infected host, to a healthy fish. When a fish with a gut load of spironucleus vortens excretes waste, that waste will typically be carrying a significant amount of those pathogens. In a closed system, such as an aquarium, that becomes a breeding ground for future infections. Plenty of water changes & substrate cleaning can help, but the only way to truly eradicate this from ones system is to take some kind of action via medication.

Just keep in mind that not all cases of "bloat", are caused by hexamita/spironucleus. A single bloated fish could be something as simple as a constipated fish, or an egg bound female. Bloat itself is a symptom, not a disease.

Countryboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Central NY
Thanks. Very informative. Just one question. If stress is the main cause for the immune system to weaken and a weakened immune system causes the over abundance of pathogen...don't the other fish have to be stressed in order for the infection to spread? Wouldn't water changes and vacuuming take the infestation down to a managable level?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just one question. If stress is the main cause for the immune system to weaken and a weakened immune system causes the over abundance of pathogen...don't the other fish have to be stressed in order for the infection to spread? Wouldn't water changes and vacuuming take the infestation down to a managable level?
That's a good question, and one that there is no definitive answer for as each situation could be different. As an example, if the stress being caused is from one overly hyper dominant fish (via aggression), then every fish in the tank is most likely going to be in a stressed, and at least somewhat weakened state. In other situations, it may just be a single fish that's being picked on, and becomes sick, if one removes that fish, and does some large water changes, and cleans the substrate (and filter media) that alone may bring things back to an easily manageable state.

Countryboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
Central NY
Thanks for your time and letting me pick your brain.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store