Bloat???

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Judging by this picture it could be different to my experience. With mine they would become lethargic rarely moving and breathing heavily, looks like yours is still quite active and strong, could be a pup that has died inside her which is producing gasses inside due to decomposition?

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
Judging by this picture it could be different to my experience. With mine they would become lethargic rarely moving and breathing heavily, looks like yours is still quite active and strong, could be a pup that has died inside her which is producing gasses inside due to decomposition?
That's what I was thinking. What's bothering me the most is not eating.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Dont worry about not eating. They go off food prior to giving birth anyway and then may not eat for a couple of days after. Plenty of fat reserves on her to see her through a while without food.
Good luck mate!!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I was thinking this too. Hope she pulls through and you get some pups.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Its worth mentioning at this stage that if this discharge is in fact natures way of slowly ridding the body of the dead pup then just make sure you keep an extra eye on water parameters, unless the ray is living in an aquarium with 500 gals plus then there is every chance you could get knock on problems, I would perform partial daily water changes till the pups arrive.

All the best

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Very informative post from Dr Charney.

Because I have kept rays for so many years I have experienced both the good and the bad, this case is no different. I have lost 3 rays over the years all female with these symptoms, there is often a orange/yellow blob of Jelly deposited from the females as well as the bloody discharge from the cloaca, in most cases death follows within 3 days,. I have added a picture of a female I lost 5 years ago, here blood can be seen draining into the container, even in death she was so beautiful, one of my home bred babies which made the loss even more hard to bare.
I wish you all the best but false hope is never a good thing either, try the antibiotics, if its caught quick enough who knows. This I might add happened after giving birth in all cases a few days later.View attachment 1150186 View attachment 1150187
interesting post. The jelly blob was almost definitely a dystocia. After she passed did you clear the goo and see if there was a pup behind it? You would probably have to stretch her cloaca a little.

As mentioned before definitely could be a dead pup in there decomposing. If that is the case at this point there would be most likely a bad uterine infection. When a young pup dies it is reabsorbed. If it gets too big it needs to be birthed with the rest of them. There are some options in between but they will not be the case here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store