Blood Parrot Breeding Age

Unit-3

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2020
I have a male flowerhorn (3”) and two female blood parrots (2.5” and 3”) in a tank with some other fish. I believe the male’s old enough to spawn because his papilla are a lot more visible than when I bought him last year, and his nuchal hump looks fairly well developed (at least for what he is). I don’t know if the females are ready, though, since I can see their ovipositors, but they don’t look to be nearly far down enough to indicate that they may be receptive to breeding. The females are roughly the same size as he is, if not a tad smaller, and are maybe a month younger than he is(I think he’s currently around... nine months to a year old?) if I had to guess when they were hatched. I wanna try crossing them, but I’m not exactly sure what minimum size or age I need them to be at before I set them into a tank for pair testing. Anybody know a good minimum size and age requirements to go by?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My male entered breeding mode at about a year after I got him. No older than a year and a half at that point.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Not all Flowerhorns are fertile. If he is fertile he most likely will not breed till he hits the 4-6 inch mark. You want the male flowerhorn to be bigger then the female parrots otherwise you run the risk of the parrots bullying your FH or even killing him.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store