Blue dempsey or something else?

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Hi there. My LFS had a load of dempseys that they had labled as EBJD but are not like any I've ever seen. I thought that they may be somewhere between a regular and blue. They certainly looked a lot stronger. So I purchased one. A few people now have said it may be a hybrid with a texas cichlid.

What do you guys think?

My fish (sorry the pic is not great, I can get better ones if needed).

View attachment 1040622

The fish in the shop.

jack2.jpg

jack2.jpg

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I agree. Do you think it may be another strain of dempsey or a hybrid? I've looked at pictures of JD/Tex hybrids and they don't quite look like it either.
You probably will have to grow it out to get more detail on what it really is. I'll agree it doesn't quite look like an EBJD and my first thought was that it looked a little like a carpintis.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
You probably will have to grow it out to get more detail on what it really is. I'll agree it doesn't quite look like an EBJD and my first thought was that it looked a little like a carpintis.

Yeah I'll grow it on and see. It does seem to have the slutty traits of a texas, it's currently trying to put the moves on my male sajica ;)

My neighbour got one as well and it looks even more odd (excuse the mix of fish, he's going to sort it out asap).

demp.jpg

demp.jpg

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Yeah I'll grow it on and see. It does seem to have the slutty traits of a texas, it's currently trying to put the moves on my male sajica ;)

My neighbour got one as well and it looks even more odd (excuse the mix of fish, he's going to sort it out asap).

View attachment 1040724
That fish definitely looks more EBJD-like. Both that one and yours are very pretty. If I could get the color of the carpintis with the body shape of a octofasciata, that would be one awesome looking fish.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
THAT Is an ebjd - there many threads that support that look....you have to research and give it time before calling it something its not hybrid.I wu
ebjd will change with time and many will start off with a almost dull pattern...
i would personal give it more time to develope

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-don-t-think-so-Pics/page2&highlight=calihawk
I will agree that it doesn't have the carpintis shape at all- but those pearls?
I've also heard quite a bit of "theories" regarding the creation of the EBJD. While I've always favored the "blue gene" theory... Well lets just say if this is a "pure' EBJD I might have to reevaluate my views towards that.- Regardless it's probably too soon to tell. Keep us updated on these beautiful fish!
I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

Reactions: lekkiandgas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store