Blue Jack Dempsey

Eric BT

Feeder Fish
Jan 29, 2018
I have a 3in blue jack dempsey that I havent had any problems with. Last night I fed him his first feeder fish which he demolished. Today he is swimming with his mouth wide open and at times appears to be trying to regurgitate something. I can see in his mouth and there doesn't appear to be anything in it. I am new to Cichlids and do not know if this is normal. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Eric

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Not normal. He could either be sick from the feeder, since they carry lots of diseases and/or parasites, or he has a really full stomach from the feeder.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All cichlids have a second set of jaws in their throat (similar to "Alien" in the movie).
This second set of jaws can slowly process one or more large food items over time. Those extra jaws slowly grind the item, and work it down.
But beyond that (especially because BJDs are sensitive to bacterial infections, more so than normal JDs) feeding feeder fish is especially risky.
Feeding only pellets is exponentially better for them than using feeders, that are often raised in less than perfect conditions, and often carry disease.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Should be normal in a half a day. Just ate some big feeders that's why.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store