blue shrimp moulted!

dawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
in Birminghan
Hi, I've got a blue shrimp that has moulted. But it seems to have lost the big claw:shocked: , could anyone tell me if it will grow back another or even if it will survive with my other fish? Many thanks for looking and hope to hear from someone:(

dawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
in Birminghan
Thanks for that, puts my mind at ease!

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
their claws pop off as they aren't able to pull them out of the exoskeleton.
My red crabs do this as well, but when i look at where their claws used to be, they have this gross tiny baby claw, eventually it inflates and gets big.

dawn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
in Birminghan
cheers, I was a little concerned!

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I bought a shrimp called a blue shrimp at the pet store. He molted the first night I had him. I want to verify which species it is, and how big it gets. It added about an inch when it molted. It's no longer blue it's kinda navy blue with red all over now. it has long slender claws. It only has one claw for now since it wasn't able to pull the other one out during the molt. I have kept regular crayfish that I have caught locally up to about 8" long, but I am not sure of what species this one is since it molted it looks strange. I'll post some pics, but the quality isn't that great since I had to sneak the cam around the side of the tank to take the pic since it hides under the drift wood always. OH yeah, he's about 5" long now. Ironically I feed him shrimp with the shell on. lol

new house fish 378.jpg

new house fish 374.jpg

new house fish 291.jpg

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
is this guy from austrailia, how big will it get? Seems to do fine with just one claw. He killed my marble cichlid, and my white tip shark catfish. They were bigger than him. He just grabs with all his legs and doesn't let go. Eats them alive. I seen him try to do it to one of my other cichlids. My regular crayfish is nowhere near as aggressive. Here's a pic of a crayfish I got locally. Had him since he was 1/2" long. His claws are really much more rounded than the supposed blue shrimp lol. I am good at naming catfish but not crayfish. Species name so that I can do some additional research would be great.

crayfish.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store