Blue Spot Synspillum Juvies 1st Gen

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
Hey all,

I have been working on line breeding these guys for more blue speckling.

Parents are shown in the photo's and the fry in the video.

FB_IMG_1595481887697.jpg

Male is the one with more red throughout the body, the female is quite dark with an Olive face. The speckles don't look like much in the photo but they are brilliant blue in real life.

FB_IMG_1595481941517.jpg

Just the other wise of the male.

** sound off for the video **

Juveniles at roughly 6cm, not colour fed or hormone fed, no special lighting just a torch with the light off to gauge the true colours.

Although this is just the start of the project... i was able to pick the best fish from the original supplier so i picked the ones that had more blue then the rest, they already have 80% more speckling then their parents so here's hoping in the next gen or so i'll pop out something a bit different.

Who else keeps them? I havn't really seen many where i am. Feel free to post!

Cheers

Last edited:

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Beautiful fish and an interesting project! The young ones definitely are already showing a lot of pearling.

I have some young synspilum, with some of them showing pearling, but I am more interested in the degree of red in them.

A question I have been wondering about is if the pearling is found in wild synspilum/melanurum, or if it comes from crosses with flowerhorns or carpintis. Does anyone know that?

Reactions: Cammo X

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
Beautiful fish and an interesting project! The young ones definitely are already showing a lot of pearling.

I have some young synspilum, with some of them showing pearling, but I am more interested in the degree of red in them.

A question I have been wondering about is if the pearling is found in wild synspilum/melanurum, or if it comes from crosses with flowerhorns or carpintis. Does anyone know that?
I have read the strain comes from Belize and has been used in FH making as you say. I think it's a proper stain of syn that's kinda been forgotten about.

Reactions: Red Cichlids

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
A few updates on the Blue spot Synspillum, they are about 8-10cm now and looking spectacular, i'm bias i know but i haven't seen Synspillum like this in Australia before and i'm glad that i'm able to produce these for our industry. i'm keeping the 6 best looking ones to breed back to their mother who has the most blue spots and streaks, should produce even more heavily spangled fry.

I've had something even more crazy pop out with the 2nd batch, same mother but she switched dads to the other large male we call 'Chromedome'. These guys were 4cm when i originally posted this thread, they had great spangling even at a small age and they have developed into these guys.

I've had people messaging me saying they are hybrids, but they are 100% pure Synspillum, i own the parents of these, and their parents i saw as well and they are all pure. You can see how some are really heavily spangled and some are just the plain spangled, there's also a pretty deformed one if you look closely. Any deformities eventually go into the 7x3x2 to live with all the other random fish, if they live they live if they die they die.

Also note that none have any red heads on them, the blue has really taken over with this batch, it was also a small batch of 20 fish or so with 1 deformity.
None of these in the 2nd batch will be hitting the market as i'm keeping them to grow out and breed back to either the dad or mum to see what happens.

Keen to hear people thoughts on these good or bad :)

You can also follow my FB and IG pages in my signature, i try to keep everyone updated on whats happening in the fish room.

I will update again once they are a bit bigger :)

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That’s amazing that you got 80% more spangling within one generation! They’re looking good the and second batch is interesting if the blue is dominant.

What’s the reasoning of breeding back to the parents rather than breeding the best two siblings if they have 80% more blue than the parents?

please update with pics

Reactions: Cammo X

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
That’s amazing that you got 80% more spangling within one generation! They’re looking good the and second batch is interesting if the blue is dominant.

What’s the reasoning of breeding back to the parents rather than breeding the best two siblings if they have 80% more blue than the parents?

please update with pics
Hey mate,

Yeah it's really surprised me at how much spangling has come through already and this is just the 1st gen, inevitably i will end up breeding the best blue siblings together.

I wanna put some over the mother if possible because she has a blue streak under her dorsal fin and she was the most heavily spotted female i have in the parents, the other females are rather drab.

Some of the babies carry the same trait, there's no real need to cross them over the mother but i'm interested to see what pops out, with enough inbreeding certain mutations have an increased chance of occurring. Could be colors, could be spots, albinism etc... but the most common is just deformed fish which live life in the 7fter to be eaten eventually lol. They probably wont even pair up tbh but worth a shot.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Hey mate,

Yeah it's really surprised me at how much spangling has come through already and this is just the 1st gen, inevitably i will end up breeding the best blue siblings together.

I wanna put some over the mother if possible because she has a blue streak under her dorsal fin and she was the most heavily spotted female i have in the parents, the other females are rather drab.

Some of the babies carry the same trait, there's no real need to cross them over the mother but i'm interested to see what pops out, with enough inbreeding certain mutations have an increased chance of occurring. Could be colors, could be spots, albinism etc... but the most common is just deformed fish which live life in the 7fter to be eaten eventually lol. They probably wont even pair up tbh but worth a shot.
Thanks for the detailed answer. That’s a pretty interesting long term project. I’d imagine you can start running out of room fairly quickly with multiple generations growing out. It’s good to see a dedicated breeder that’s enhancing their stock. Please keep us updated

Cammo X

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Australia
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the detailed answer. That’s a pretty interesting long term project. I’d imagine you can start running out of room fairly quickly with multiple generations growing out. It’s good to see a dedicated breeder that’s enhancing their stock. Please keep us updated
Thanks for the kind words, yeah it's pretty long term but i'm not getting out of the hobby anytime soon, 13 years so far in aquarium retail, breeding only a few years maybe 4 or so. Moving to acreage soon though which will expand things, i also have a few other fish and stingrays on the go as well.

I'm definitely gonna keep posting on this thread, i post a fair bit on IG and FB too, but IG gets more of the updates or photos of the fish room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store