Blue tang possible ich

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
So I think my blue tang has ich. Will post pics shortly. But I am pretty sure that is what it is. So far he is the only fish with signs of ich.

Questions.

I do not have a current hospital tank set up. I have a 10 gallon available. He is small enough to keep there while treating.

Is there a treatment that can safely be used in a reef environment?

Should I treat all fish or just him?

Not sure how this would have been contracted all new fish were qt and fine. All fish have been in the tank for quite some time. Latest addition has been in there about 30 days all other have been in there for months and some a year.
Suggestions please.

Also do I need to worry about cycling a hospital tank? Or can I just set it up and put him in once temp is right and such. I would presume I am going to be doing lots of water changes in it anyways.

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
Thanks for the reply. I dont think the spots are just discoloration because they are slightly raised as if there are specs of sand in the center. This happened over night as well. They are slightly blurred in the photo as well.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
couple other things it could be.

do you have any corals that sting? as it could be minor burns

could be some sort of scale rot type thing

could be a different parasite, such as small parasitic pod

could be a fungal or bacterial infection

sorry i cant be of more help, all my links to sites about diseases are on my other computer which is currently non funtional. ill look around still see if i can come up with something else.

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
I did a really good water change last night as well in hopes that it was a water issue. As for corals.
Torch Coral (Hosted by my clown)LOL
Small hammer
Duncan (newest)
Brain
Different Zoos and Polyps
Ricordia Mushrooms
Green Mushrooms
Green Star Polyps

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
So after 1 day and a water change last night the spots seem to have pretty much gone away. They are almost unnoticeable now. Not sure what it was but it seems to be going away.

Reefbuff01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Miami, FL
I agree....The spots were most likely burn spots from torch coral or what not. Could have also been scale rot and the scales just needed to fall off. Just keep a good eye on him for the next few days or so.

If the spots do come back and you would like to remove him from the tank I suggest setting up your hospital tank now. A hospital tank, like any other tank, needs to cycle to properly before fish are put in.

Good luck!

dookie

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2005
Hong Kong
looks like cryptocarion. try a freshwater dip for 7 mins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store