BOOM! Fly Fisherman and Koi Lovers.. Check This Out..

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
So I figured that I would hit the pond across from my house to catch a few sunnies for about an hour after dinner with a dry fly and my 3wt. Well long story short and 30 minutes plus later, I landed this monster! This fish was caught on my st.croix 7' foot imperial 3wt., ross evolution reel, parachute adams and 2.5lb fluorocarbon tippet! If I had to estimate this fish weighted about 12-14lbs (had a balloon for a stomach, wish I would of had my scale on me so I could of got a real reading) and approximately 26-28". It's going to be hard to beat this one on my 3wt and tippet. I revived her and she swam off with no problems. :goldfish:

Monster_Koi_1.jpg

Monster_Koi_1.jpg

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
God damn, awesome! I caught a 24 inch brown on a 4 wt and that took a good 15 minutes to get it in (went into heavy rapids) I can't even imagine trying to tangle with that beast on a 3 wt! In the local marina I've seen some koi as big if not bigger then this, never fished for them and never will haha! I'm surprised it took a little dry fly like an Adams!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
God damn, awesome! I caught a 24 inch brown on a 4 wt and that took a good 15 minutes to get it in (went into heavy rapids) I can't even imagine trying to tangle with that beast on a 3 wt! In the local marina I've seen some koi as big if not bigger then this, never fished for them and never will haha! I'm surprised it took a little dry fly like an Adams!
I've seen bigger too. I'm surprised it took the adams as well.. the fish was feeding on the surface. There's a ton of mosquitos and midge-like flies there. I had another koi a little smaller with more color variation come right up to it with its nose and refuse it 3 times. I tied the adam up specifically for sunfish at this pond with a lot of antron so they stay a float after getting chewed on by a bunch of sunfish, maybe thought it was bread? It's actually an extended body adams that I tie. I may spin some deer hair and attempt to make some dough ball flies, I wonder if that would be worth having in my box. They don't call carp poor mans bonefish for nothing.. this fish peel drag.

Nice catch, but did it take a dry fly or did you snag it?
Umm, I don't know about you but I don't snag fish, really sportsman here bradda! :irked:

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
I don't think imitating a dough ball will work since its the smell that triggers them to take it... Unless people are constantly feeding the koi bread from the bank, dont think they'd take it. If you see them taking flies off the surface, try something large to catch their attention... Maybe a large moth or stonefly pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
I don't think imitating a dough ball will work since its the smell that triggers them to take it... Unless people are constantly feeding the koi bread from the bank, dont think they'd take it. If you see them taking flies off the surface, try something large to catch their attention... Maybe a large moth or stonefly pattern?
All people do is stuff ducks with bread at this pond. I'll probably try the same fly first unless it was a freak thing, but I doubt it because I had the other koi looking at it as well. I was always told that carp take nymphs, I may attempt to target carp on the fly since there is quite a few there. This was my first koi/carp on a fly rod.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
So I figured that I would hit the pond across from my house to catch a few sunnies for about an hour after dinner with a dry fly and my 3wt. Well long story short and 30 minutes plus later, I landed this monster! This fish was caught on my st.croix 7' foot imperial 3wt., ross evolution reel, parachute adams and 2.5lb fluorocarbon tippet! If I had to estimate this fish weighted about 12-14lbs (had a balloon for a stomach, wish I would of had my scale on me so I could of got a real reading) and approximately 26-28". It's going to be hard to beat this one on my 3wt and tippet. I revived her and she swam off with no problems. :goldfish:

View attachment 784150

Beautiful fish :) He would look good in my tank, I'll trade you 5 sunnies for him :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store