"Bow" In Acrylic

luvbigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2009
Maine
Even if this is normal bowing , you obviously will have trouble sleeping . drain the tank , make a brace and you will sleep better , braces are simple to make .

repella42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
On monday I am going to get some acrylic to brace the back. Would it be better to adhere some 1/4" strips vertically, or would i be better off taking a 1/4" sheet the same dimensions as the back and adehereing that way? I searxhed for about an hour and only bracing I have found is on the bottom of tanks. Thanks to all for your input.

idle0095

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Manchester, NH
Dont adhere anything on the back. it wont do any good since it cant adhere to the top and bottom piece of acrylic.

You wont be able to get a full size piece in the tank because of the top. You could get a full size piece and cut it in 3 and get it in that way. Ive seen many ways for braceing it just depends on the tank. Ive also seen ppl put in two fake over flows just for bracing which does work.

My friend Jess has a 300 gallon that bows 1" in the back. Also a 55 gallon my friend Bill cleans and it bows almost 3/4". My 90 tenecor bows int he middle about 1/2" or so. I had a thread on here about it as well. Its normal. Unless your seeing stress cracks or anything else to concern you then your fine.

If you want to brace it then the best thing is either more acrylic on the inside or brace from the back of the wall to the tank. I know you think that way will push the tank over but it wont. measure at the top of the tank were there is no bow and see what it is. Say its 8". then make a brace that 7.5". Then drain and refill and it will be fine. Only problem with doing this is it may bow out the front as well more. Its a gamble. But like I said your fine the way it is. Just watch it for a few weeks and see.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I don't know if I've really seen an acrylic tank that has absolutely no bowing at all (and I've seen a LOT)... if you did a poll for big acrylic tank owners on here, I'd bet the majority have some degree of bowing in their tanks.

iWantKicks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hawaii
My 55 acrylic bows about 3/4" when full. been running like that for 7 years strong.

On the other hand, I had another 55 bow barely any, and busted open the moment it finished filling.

Its all about how you care for it. The 7 year old one has always been indoors.
The busted one sat in the sun for maybe a year before I test filled it and broke on me.

Would be nice to know the history of your tank... i hope it wasnt outdoors or catching direct sunlight...

goodluck

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Either go to glass or make a brace for it. You could also get a hood or make a hood for it which fits around the outside of the tank which will act as a brace. Acrylic is deigned to be flexible. Your more likely to have the seems break than the acrylic.

idle0095

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Manchester, NH
man you guys are scaring this poor person.

repella42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
After talking to a few ather people, yes you all freaked me out. Now I'm out 150$ (unemployed) and moving my fish back into their 55g:swear::wall::wall::wall:
Hopefully I can get a used glass 75 to 100g tank For 150$ my mother lent me till I can pay her back. My poor fish:cry::cry:

Also found out tank may have been made late 80's early 90's. My mistake for buying someone else's problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store