Bowfin and bichir

OBichir-ManO

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2016
New Jersey
I was wondering if bowfin and bichir can be compatible in an aquarium, I have kept bichir for many years and just recently had the opportunity to get my hands on a bowfin I just wanted to make sure they are not to aggressive to keep with my bichir

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Not aggressive at all in my experience. Mine is the most docile fish i own and their personalities are very similar to bichir. Mine won't even eat live food anymore, only pellets.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
They have the potentiall to be aggressive. They seem to vary greatle from one to the next.

One of my old ones ripped out the throat of a 20"ish ID shark.

My group was quite mean on each other as well.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I have kept Bichirs with Bowfins with only one minor issue ever. They rarely interact, and do seem to avoid each other in my tanks.

In the heated aquarium the Bowfin is less active than the Bichirs, and vice versa in the unheated indoor tank.

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Bowfin love water at about 65 degrees. But they do fine in water up to about 78 then they get really sluggish. They should get along fine though. Bowfins do like slightly lower ph water but they are fine in a wide range of conditions

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
That is a beautiful tank man, I currently have a 125g the guy that has the bowfin said it'd be 3" how long would it be able to comfortably live in the 125?
Mine grew to 12" after a year. It's only 18" now 3 years later so I'd say you could keep him in there for 1.5-2 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store