Bowfin Attack

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Interesting. I've had two groups of babies and the first time, none survived, the second time, just recently, I started out with eight - in only a few DAYS, I was down to one - and he's happy as a clam. I'm never going to try them in a group again.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
oh yeah man, have you ever seen a bowfin skull? Serious weapons!
They definitely have the power to do some damage.

Interesting. I've had two groups of babies and the first time, none survived, the second time, just recently, I started out with eight - in only a few DAYS, I was down to one - and he's happy as a clam. I'm never going to try them in a group again.
I'm upset about how long they had been living together before this. The first two went into the comm on October 31, then the others were added on Nov. 6th and Feb. 6th. Group had been living together for months, then the biggest female gets attacked, and once she gets pulled to give her time to heal the male gets killed.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I had 2 until they were around 6 or so inches. One grew a little bit bigger and they took sides on either side of my 150g. Every once an awhile one would wonder over to pick a fight and they would attack and then head back to their side.

One is now gone :( . (sold ;) )

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i think you have a mean female. one observation i have noticed isoutside of breeding the females are the most agressive. i noticed this in my tanks and of all the bowfin i have caught the females out number the males and when i "spot and stalk" a fin i can always get a female to bite what ever i throw at it. the males tend to swim away or ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i think you have a mean female. one observation i have noticed isoutside of breeding the females are the most agressive. i noticed this in my tanks and of all the bowfin i have caught the females out number the males and when i "spot and stalk" a fin i can always get a female to bite what ever i throw at it. the males tend to swim away or ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Has to be, at this point I only have females left. I originally tried to get multpiple females just because I assumed that the males would be the more aggressive ones.

The big female is doing pretty good at this time, avoided getting any fungus, tail has returned to a normal colour. From here have to see how much of the tail will regrow. Then have to figure out where I\ll go from here with my bowfin comm.

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
What's the consensus on keeping a solitary bowfin with gar (or polypterus)? After watching a friend of mine reel in a 24"+ specimen, I really want one. But, after having my gator eat three of my floridas, then jump out and die; I'm not so sure I want to risk the precious two I have left...

Sorry for your loss, Kevin. Those were good looking fish. Keep us posted on the big female's recovery.

micmike1709

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I had 2 until they were around 6 or so inches. One grew a little bit bigger and they took sides on either side of my 150g. Every once an awhile one would wonder over to pick a fight and they would attack and then head back to their side.

One is now gone :( . (sold ;) )
Thank you very much. He is happy and devouring shrimp.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store