Brachyplatystoma filamentosum 'Piraiba'

HoosierCat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Indiana
Hey guys new to the forum but have kept fish for a while. I know there is a lot of debate on this species and B. Capapretum. This guy pictured will be arriving tomorrow and was labeled as B. Filamentosum. Wanted to hear from the experts and see what you all thought, is it a true piraiba? Can't wait to hear what you all think!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
Spots bigger than the eyes
Barbels aren't especially long
Mouth shape
Capapretum IMO. I'm certainly no expert, though. If it didn't cost you thousands then it's highly unlikely to be a filamentosum and even then I'd be suspicious.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Back to the OP, I am more inclined to say cap. Power feed/water change it up to 10-12" to get a 100% ID. Even if it isn't filamentosum, it's a wonderful specimen; one many people on this forum (guilty!) wish they could own.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
wow, Its an awesome cat. Ive always loved big cats with a shark like body shape. My favourite is the salmon tailed catfish, its basically a colombian shark catfish on steroids. I have caught one that was 4ft long (salmon tailed cat), and Ive heard reports of larger specimens. salmon tailed catfish (native to Australia and probably closely related to colobian sharks) can live their whole lives in full fresh or full salt water, and fully grown specimens are sometimes found on offshore reefs! And as deep as 200+ft!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store