Bracing suggestion for 150 gallon

WAQT

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2020
Lahore, Pakistan
Hey guys,
New here. I have a 90 gallon cichlid tank that I am looking to upgrade to 150 gallons. The tank will be made by my LFS, but assembled at my home and I want to make sure I get it right.

Tank Size: 72L x 24W x 20H
Glass Thickness: 12MM (1/2") / non tempered / sapphire front and sides

My questions are;
1. Is there a reason I should go for tempered, will it make more secure? For my 90 gallon I was scared into getting it tempered entirely and the visibility on it is not that great on it.
2. From the pictures attached, are the top and bottom bracing enough, or do I also brace the four sides (vertically).
3. Is this (picture) considered euro bracing?

* The cuts mentioned in the brace are for canister filter intake and outtakes, 3 filters.

received_240483236992976.png

received_1083211035371258.png

received_198348651456227.png

Reactions: Backfromthedead

WAQT

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2020
Lahore, Pakistan
Not sure if it's clear or not, the bracing panels will be 12mm glass and will be siliconed in place. The bottom brace will go inside and the top brace will be on the very top.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Just my opinion but the bracing seems excessive in your design, especially at only 20" height.

Forget the bottom bracing. With 12mm glass you simply dont need it on that size tank.

Your design is not technically eurobracing. Eurobracing looks like this:
OC_72x30x24_Euro_1.jpg

The long brace piece either laps under or over the shorter side pieces. The 18" and 19"x4 pieces in your top brace design really arent serving a function. You would want one long piece around 71" long to make it a eurobrace...and you wouldnt need the middle crossbraces.

Honestly if it was me i would go very simple, just use one 12mm glass crossbrace 8-12" wide across the middle of the tank and call it done. Hell, I'd be tempted to let it ride rimless at only 20" height. But It looks like youre trying to go a little fancier than that though so to each their own.

Reactions: WAQT
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store