Brackish Fish

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I'd keep them as brackish. Really- dragonfish or violet gobies-whatever- are esturine fish that sift through the silt to find their food. I'd keep them in a brackish environment.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Dragonfish - I have personally kept dragon gobies in freshwater. Others keep them in brackish. Just whatever he is happy with. What is he in now? Is he doing well? If so, stay with that.

Shark cat is more brackish than not, though, but occassionally in fresh - so I would use brackish for him.

GOTFISH?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
california
I have been researching brackish fish and or "brackish tolerant fish" for a little while now.....Puffers: green spot, ceylon, figure eight are the poplular brackish ones...some say the green spots need to be in full marine at about 4"...Violet gobies they also classify as brackish because they can be found in the gulf of Mexico area....Many cichlids and or tilapia are brackish or marine some say also....Mayans, cubans, Hatiaens, some central american cichlids are "brackish tolerant"....Several tilapia can be kept, I personally have had a Buttikoferi thriving in 1.016 SG for about 3 months now...If you check fishbase for a certain fish and sometimes it may state they are found in bracksih waters or venture into marine habitats often for feeding or breeding they can be kept in brackish waters......My tank has Australian rainbows, native Fundulus, columbian sharks, Green spots, Violet goby and the Buttikoferi with and SG around 1.016....BTW you can google the name Nealle Monks, he is probably the formost expert on Brackish aquaria....

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
tilapia have been bred in full saltwater.

heres a few fish that can live in brackish conditions pernamently.

Acanthopagrus australis
Rhabdosargus sarba
platycephalus fuscus and all other fish in the genus
tilapia mozzambique
macquaria novemauleata

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store