Brackish frogfish help

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, really, let's face it: there are plenty of species of fish (like Paradise Fish) that, once successfully bred, can easily overwhelm one's ability and desire to raise all the fry to adulthood, and/or can outstrip the local market if one is selling to a LFS. Less of a problem if the aquarist is willing to ship them in dribs and drabs around the country, but for inexpensive fish many can't be bothered with this option.

How long are you willing to raise the feeders...of whatever species...while growing them up to the size you desire? How much space do you want to devote to this? Your frogfish looks at least several inches long; how much time and effort is required to raise feeder fish to the point where they are worth using for that purpose?

I've used various species of fish as feeders simply because of an oversupply of them, especially during the last couple years when Covid has limited the options for dragging them into town to trade in. I don't set out to raise them for feeders; I am forced to that end by circumstances. I can't believe sometimes how a species for which I search for years goes from being the Holy Grail of fishkeeping (for me) to a tank full of feeders in less than a year...:)

Seriously...get that anglerfish onto frozen foods and pellets. Your life will be much easier, and watching a live fish get inhaled gets very ho-hum, very quickly. :)

Reactions: jmanrow

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
93F91D63-2EC8-46F5-BDE9-A51B35A47239.jpeg9CF4ED37-9C92-414C-B7FA-20907114CD59.jpeg
good news is it’s still eating ghost shrimp and seems to take interest in frozen food. Bad news is it’s getting way worse. I raised the salinity to 1.005-1.006 and added a couple drops of iodine and did some water changes. Not sure what else I can do unfortunately

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1502144View attachment 1502145
good news is it’s still eating ghost shrimp and seems to take interest in frozen food. Bad news is it’s getting way worse. I raised the salinity to 1.005-1.006 and added a couple drops of iodine and did some water changes. Not sure what else I can do unfortunately
I was doing some research and was wondering if it was possibly holding eggs.

Reactions: Deadeye

jmanrow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2018
Sherwood, Oregon
Well, really, let's face it: there are plenty of species of fish (like Paradise Fish) that, once successfully bred, can easily overwhelm one's ability and desire to raise all the fry to adulthood, and/or can outstrip the local market if one is selling to a LFS. Less of a problem if the aquarist is willing to ship them in dribs and drabs around the country, but for inexpensive fish many can't be bothered with this option.

How long are you willing to raise the feeders...of whatever species...while growing them up to the size you desire? How much space do you want to devote to this? Your frogfish looks at least several inches long; how much time and effort is required to raise feeder fish to the point where they are worth using for that purpose?

I've used various species of fish as feeders simply because of an oversupply of them, especially during the last couple years when Covid has limited the options for dragging them into town to trade in. I don't set out to raise them for feeders; I am forced to that end by circumstances. I can't believe sometimes how a species for which I search for years goes from being the Holy Grail of fishkeeping (for me) to a tank full of feeders in less than a year...:)

Seriously...get that anglerfish onto frozen foods and pellets. Your life will be much easier, and watching a live fish get inhaled gets very ho-hum, very quickly. :)

jmanrow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2018
Sherwood, Oregon
I agree that it is much easier to feed frozen foods, than live. All angler fish, including the "freshwater" angler (Antennarius biocellatus), are marine or estuary fish, and should be fed saltwater fish. Freshwater fish live or frozen, do not contain the highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFAs) that saltwater fish do. If you buy fish to cut in strips at the store, make sure it is from a saltwater source. Also, when feeding shrimp, make sure they are marine shrimp, and not freshwater prawns, such as many of those farmed in Asia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store