Brackish water question.

Luminescent

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Currently in my 125g I have 2 oscars, a pleco, jack dempsy and an upsidedown catfish. As these guys get bigger I'll probably need another tank. XD

I recently aquired a Green Spotted Puffer and I am aware that they need brackish water. The above fish mentioned, will they be ok in a brackish water? I assume it would not be best for them, but I may as well find out. Would be cool to have my puffer in with my oscars.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
The jack could probably handle it, they have been found occasionly in brackish waters in nature ... though it is thought they return to fresh and are there only to feed. Oscars probably won't enjoy it, but could handle it. Odds are the catfish won't there. While there is one pleco species found in brackish water in the wild, the odds are you don't have that particular species. The upsidedown cat would deffinately not do well with the salt at all.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Just for the well being of the fish's sake just set up a brackish tank for the puffer.

hailmike

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
i've read before that any fish can slowly be moved to salt or in this case brackish but in all fairness i'd say give the puffer it's own tank. besides i'm sure depending on the size of the puffer, the o's might harass it a good bit.

hairdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
norfolk, ne
Bad idea. I had one in my tank for a little while and my severum thought it would be cool during feeding time to try and eat it. later that day the severum I had for several years was laying on bottom of tank having trouble breathing than died. The puffers are nasty nippy fish.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
aside from the fact that it would not be the best scenario for the oscars, catfish and JD....GSP's are best kept by themselves. They can be incredibly aggressive and would I"m sure at the very least be very nippy at the other fish.

as others have said, best bet is to setup a sep. brackish tank just for the puffer. :)

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
My Name is David, and I'm having problems with my oscar of 5 years. He lives in a 125 gal with 2 aqua clear 110 filters, 2 air rocks, religious weekly water changes and checks. He's my baby and he's sick and I am worried. He lives in the tank with about 12 tiger barbs and a couple of danios. He has been laying on the bottom of the tank very inactive. He hasnt eaten in like 2 days. I am very worried. Today and last night he has been more active after this weeks water change. on Tues. Every Tues. but still returns to the bottom and just sits there, sometimes leaning to one side. I am very worried. Any help would be appreciated. There are no physical signs on him besides his behavior. If I can figure out how to get my pics up here I can show you video and pics if they would help. HELP ME PLEASE! I've searched every where, cjecked the water even took it to get checked. Thank you for your time and patience.

:shark: David and Warrendafish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store