Breeding Angelfish (second time the charm?)

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
If you don't have an airvalve to slow down the air, you can tie a knot in the line and adjust it so a much smaller amount of air is coming out. This will put back-pressure on your pump, which is not desireable, so you could also raise the airstone so it is just fizzing at the surface.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
If you don't have an airvalve to slow down the air, you can tie a knot in the line and adjust it so a much smaller amount of air is coming out. This will put back-pressure on your pump, which is not desireable, so you could also raise the airstone so it is just fizzing at the surface.
Thanks, rn I actually turned off the airstone and added a bunch of moss to help with aeration. Will this suffice? I checked on them this morning and they are eating very well and all alive/healthy even without the bubbles.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Also, anyone have suggestions to remove uneaten food/debris from fry tank easily? I have a syringe and turkey baster but it seems to not really remove debris but remove water. I’ve used a airline tube in the past, but to be quite honest it’s super annoying to use (I have to dip the whole tube inside the water or use my mouth ?). I’ve solved the water temp issue by freeing a 30 gallon and filling it with temperatured water that I can just take from. Any other info/help would be appreciated. So far no deaths and they are eating very well, all of them jumping on the hikari first bites and clearly can see them eating!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Red Cichlids

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Airline tubing with a length (few inches) of rigid clear plastic tubing is the best to spot suction leftover food and gunk. Clear is ideal but colored will do. There is nothing better than the mouth to begin suction...it is not that bad and one quickly learns how to do it without getting any water in (yes, you can use various other methods including a modified turkey baster, but nothing is better than the mouth).

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Update for everyone!

angelfish fry are looking good. Only lost 1-3 out of the batch of 30 or so fry and they are all eating the hikari first bites which is nice. All of them have gotten bigger too so I have a good feeling about this batch. I’ve done minimal water change (only one 20 percent water change in the last 1.5-2 weeks) mainly because I was busy, but the Java moss is growing and really helping with the water quality. I’ve also made sure to add water the same temp and so far everything is going better than the last batch. I’ve also seen the fry try to eat from the surface as well as nibble at the glass of the tank so I’m thinking its the microorganisms that are in the water.

My only concern is that some of the angels are already looking bulkier and larger while the others are still skinny. Is this normal? Should there be disparity in size and growth out of the batch or are some of the angelfish fry underfed and malnutritioned? Anyway I’ll keep this updated and hopefully in a few week I’ll be able to tell whether the majority of the fry will survive.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Congratulations! Looks like they are doing well. Yes, some will adapt better to the environment and food and will grow faster. Under ideal conditions the growth rate is similar for all the babies, but most of us hobbyists have size disparity in the fry. I just recommend culling the smallest ones after a month or so.

Also, you should keep some water movement because sooner or later the water will start to get a scum on the surface that will keep the oxygen from dispersing into the water and the CO2 out. I would be changing 1/3 of the water at least once a day if you want them to continue to thrive.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Congratulations! Looks like they are doing well. Yes, some will adapt better to the environment and food and will grow faster. Under ideal conditions the growth rate is similar for all the babies, but most of us hobbyists have size disparity in the fry. I just recommend culling the smallest ones after a month or so.

Also, you should keep some water movement because sooner or later the water will start to get a scum on the surface that will keep the oxygen from dispersing into the water and the CO2 out. I would be changing 1/3 of the water at least once a day if you want them to continue to thrive.
Hey thanks for the reply. I’m getting a sponge filter so will solve water movement soon. I’ll try my best to do more water changes but more realistically I’ll be doing 3 times a week. I’ll keep it updated! Hopefully they grow nicely ?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Update on the angelfish breeding, from 30 or so I’m down to around 17, but these remaining ones have quadrupled in size and are looking more like fish than fry. A few are still a bit small but at least half of the 17 are much larger.

Also, my pair in the main tank has laid eggs again and this time I removed the 4 other angels and temporarily put them in a 20 gallon tote with a filter and heater. There are at least 100 wigglers this batch and I want to experiment with how the fry do in an established planted tank with the parents. These parents have breed for me dozens of times now so I trust their parenting skills. When I was adding some mesh to cover the filter intake, the parents wouldn’t stop biting me. They are vicious fish! I’ll keep this updated and hopefully can end up with more fry to grow out!

852BB90B-8D6B-4AC3-8934-2AA9345016E5.jpeg

9F632037-2CEB-45F9-A130-F53476357ED8.jpeg

FE7630FA-12FA-4701-BCBD-562317BC4551.jpeg

01960EBD-F44D-4633-82E4-4C6783F16867.jpeg

6FBCAB58-853C-48EA-A23E-A56972A32080.jpeg

590D4EBE-2CCD-4ACD-A8AF-60C49C67706E.jpeg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Just saw the parents moving the babies ???. These are some very dedicated parents. Btw anyone know if I should feed them during this time? I’m hoping they don’t starve and eat their fry.

4DE52DDF-E0DB-4597-B3A5-FF7A5DD98CD3.jpeg

21A39107-5042-4A52-8D6C-A157AA415C85.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store