Breeding Dovii?

KamfaKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
Canada
i have 2 dovii 1 male and onle female the male is about 3.5 inches and the female is 2.5-2 inches. they are in between and eggcrate divider in a 55 gallon and i am planning to upgrade to a 200 plus gallon tank. what size will they start breeding and how can i try and pair them off methods/advice?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
3.5 and 2.5" is pretty small. What makes you think you have a male and female. Just because one is smaller doesn't make it a female. At this size I think its to early to make that determination. Some fry are more aggressive eaters and will grow faster so the bigger ones does not guarantee to always be male at this small size. As for breeding size female would be at least around 5-6"

KamfaKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
Canada
i have vented them also im looking into a 210 it seems small but i belive its a reasonable size

doviione

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2012
From Personal experience!

I would just stick with the 55 gallon for now to see how things turn out, you can remove the divider, just an eye on them.

I have breed many dovii's, and still have them.

My smallest pair (Male 4.5 inch and female 3.5 inch) which shock me when it happen, you will just see less frys.

Good Luck!

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
mine were male 5-6" female 3.5-4" when they breed.

had them a year he is 10" plus now and drop me a litter a month if I remove the fry (which i don't unless someone asks for fry) and they are in 180G and still look tiny in there. I'm going to upgrade to a 300G when they need it but im sure ill be ok for the next year or so. a 210 will be fine for a long while, dovii around 24" are few and far between because of the age it takes to get them there. check out a thread "MFK's Largest Dovii" to say there is a lot of dovii keepers on here not many have plus 20" ers

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/mfks-largest-dovii.646703/

every dovii thread go the same way, " you must have a pond to own dovii" but in reality these are not RTC there growth slows after the first 2 years and even then they want be near 18".

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I think breeding them at a small size slows there growth down.
I bred my first pair in 40g breeder Female was around 6" male about 10"

I want to breed these again I raised another female that's around 9" now going to try to raise up a 3" small male to mate with her. I don't know how big she'll be by the time the male gets big enough to mate lol

suhel miah

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
nyc
From Personal experience!

I would just stick with the 55 gallon for now to see how things turn out, you can remove the divider, just an eye on them.

I have breed many dovii's, and still have them.

My smallest pair (Male 4.5 inch and female 3.5 inch) which shock me when it happen, you will just see less frys.

Good Luck!
Hello hope all is well I wanted to ask can you breed a costa rican dovii with a nicuagua dovii?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store