Breeding Ghost Shrimp Setup

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
olga21;2466697; said:
Ok, thanks for the help guys. I just did my 50 percent water change, so hopefully things will get better. I have them in a 5.5 gallon tank, is that to small?
I avoid working with anything smaller than a 10 gallon simply because I have to worry about the water conditions less. And there more space for the shrimp to swim around in.

You're lighting is probably sufficient for the Java moss, but I don't know how fast it would grow. Personally I like increased lighting in my shrimp tank because it helps my Duckweed grow faster and makes algae which both eats up nitrates and also provides food for the shrimps/snails to graze on.

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
Well, you can buy some more java moss if you really feel like it but it probably isn't that necessary. In my opinion, itd be better if u installed a somewhat stronger light but thats just me, because with a light bulb that far... not much is going to grow in terms of plant life. Doesn't have to be expensive or anything, i just have a compact fluorescent screw on bulb + the light socket.

Water changes... since it's the tank isn't cycled yet, do one in a couple of days. So 1 every 2 to 3 days for a week or two, then you can go to 1 a week or so if you're lazy or have better things to do. But considering that you're using a 5 gallon, I can't really say that much. You can get a ammonia/nitrite test kit to test these things (should read 0ppm when ur tank is cycled). But I tend to avoid using test kits cuz I'm cheap/lazy/insert excuse here and prefer to do things by eye. (Not that I don't understand the dynamics behind them.)

Another note: Don't expect the shrimp to start makign babies instantly. They need time to settle in and for water parameters (sponge filter) to stabilize.

olga21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
SE Texas
I went to the store and got some tap water conditioner. I didnt use this before so do you think this is why my shrimp were dying?

Zinq

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Canada
It's possible but probably not, depends on the amount of Chlorine/Chloramine in ur tap water. I've done water changes with untreated water on shrimp/fish tanks as a test and i've never seen any adverse effects in the short or long term.

I think it was more likely that ur tank just wasn't cycled and 20 shrimp all at once was too much poop/ammonia for an uncycled and small tank.

olga21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
SE Texas
Thats a nice enviroment for shrimp to get sexy in. Is that a ten gallon tank? How many shrimp u getting?
Thanks for the advice zinq!

olga21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
SE Texas
Well, things are going good in the shrimp tank. All five of my shrimp are living and eating. I re-read the thread and have learned alot in the past week. So I think I am all set for now. Thanks Zinq!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store