Breeding Jardini Arowanas

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
My old jardini came in from Asia at ~3", one of three in a package ordered. I would imagine the environment to breed jar's be similar to that for breeding asian aro's, but there must be some good profit-related reason for breeders to breed them instead of asian's. I would personally settle for a green rather than a jar if I were outside of the US. Hence, maybe the jars are being bred mostly for US market.

mitchb

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
victoria
I bet it comes down to economic decisions. Which would you rather breed if you had a breeding pool:
asian aro's or jardini's?

There must be some breeders that choose jardini's but the market is not the same. There are some niche areas where jardini's are accepted, or allowed into, but compared to asian arowana's the market value just isn't the same.

It might also have to do with difficulty of breeding, as jardinis are much more aggressive so maybe finding a pair is a lot harder?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I bet it comes down to economic decisions. Which would you rather breed if you had a breeding pool:
asian aro's or jardini's?
It does as has already been explained in a previous post on the first page of this thread.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
HOWEVER - obviously I'm talking about the US market. Jardini are not cheap fish.

Be honest - if somebody bred Jardini, would you turn down a quality CB fish or no ? You know as well as I do, that people would be all over them.

Not only that - it is a good goal for somebody.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I apologize for interrupting your discussion like this with a different topic but it won't let me post yet (or I just can't figure it out). You may have some knowledge for me seeing as you are getting into breeding, but what specific brands of arowana food sticks are most recommended? I`m still planning on feeding other foods such as freeze dried plankton but there's so many food sticks out there and I want to know what the breeders are using? Do you have any recommendations you've come across?

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
Quin Hu a fish farm in Singapore actually breeds Jardini. Their are other farms in Asia too but not too many breed jars because they are not as high in demands in the markets in Asia. Also they do not have special farms just for jars unlike asian aros do. Silver are cheaper than jars and they are breed often to sell to the market. Asian aros are more expensive but high in demands in the market. It's all business, whatever can be sold fast to the public is what many of the farms focuses to breed. They don't wanna bother breeding jars regularly as they will only lose profits as not many are being sold.
its far easier to bred a red than jard ... so i'm told
many jard stock still come directly from papua's rivers
the only farmer that i know breeding jard is cv maju aquarium - indonesia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store