Breeding "king" betta

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
Okay, what i have is a male King betta from petco (red and blue) thats darker colored but the fins are very bright. The female is a female veiltail from petsmart (white body with neon red fins). The setup is a 5.5 gallon filled with 4" of water covered with artificial plants floating around and a spongefilter (turned off for now). Well I kept the female in a glass jar in the tank for 24 hours and then released her. Within 10 min they were breeding and have been for the past 2 hours. i have been sitting by the aquarium to keep an eye on them this evening to watch for when she is done breeding. So far there isnt any injury at all, which i am thrilled about. As soon as i can I will post pictures. My question is what sort of variety should i expect from the fry as they grow mature? Such as veil tail vs giant and such. Thanks for reading!

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
It's basically juss a giant betta. and for conditioning i had the female in a 1.5 and the male in a 2.5 side by side for a week and fed them hikari sinking carnivore, brine shrimp, and freeze dried blood worms.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
UPDATE: I juss removed the female due to the fact she started eating eggs from the nest.. such a good mommy! haha

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
well right now my male is juss a little over 3", it has plakat fin's on it. Its a beautiful fish, really is. I'm hoping that I can get the females body color and the males fins and size

icantquit

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI (53218)
honestly, you'll get tons of random fishes popping out because no one knows the genetics behind the king or the veil tail. Ive bred two pure white bettas before, and only 2 turned out all white.. Id had yellow, reds, blues, and a few monsters.... so it'll be pretty random....will be fun tho... I love breeding bettas, I just hate taking care of the frys...lol

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
well shortly after the eggs started hatching i thought that the male ate all the children, so i took him out and the tank sat for a day with the sponge filter running. well i thought it was time to try and breed the bettas again so i started using air tubing to syphon out the debris and saw shomething tiny dart away from the tube. well, turns out that there are about 30ish babies that were still alive! so i put in some bbs and hopefully from here i can raise them to adulthood!

Metriacliman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
New York
Just so you know, veiltail is a dominant trait, so you're probably going to get mostly VTs.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
Something im hoping for is to get the king betta's size and the vt's finage. juss kinda experimenting to see what i can get!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store