Breeding live food for your stingrays

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I don't know how many times I've posted about culturing red wiggler worms... and for some reason only a few people believe me.

"It's dangerous," some say. "Fish don't like them," say others. "What about the nematodes?" opine others.

I've been culturing red wigglers for years...my bin is the gift that keeps on giving. Give it a try!

Matt

+1. I do this as well and it's really simple and yields a ton of worms

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I don't know how many times I've posted about culturing red wiggler worms... and for some reason only a few people believe me.

"It's dangerous," some say. "Fish don't like them," say others. "What about the nematodes?" opine others.

I've been culturing red wigglers for years...my bin is the gift that keeps on giving. Give it a try!

Matt
How is it dangerous? I.culture a medium tub of red jugglers but it's hard to get them to explode in numbers. What are.you feeding them?

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have a worm farm that I am using now. I always planned on it being a pup only bin as my adults could eat every worm and be disappointed at how hungry they still would be after. Nothing beats frozen food at market. I dont think anyone in small size can produce a pound or more food that I need to feed my rays every other day. Maybe one ray yes but even two adults would be hard.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
How is it dangerous? I.culture a medium tub of red jugglers but it's hard to get them to explode in numbers. What are.you feeding them?

An ideal environment is more important. Peat or horse manure with dead leaves for substrate and just wet enough that if a handful is squeezed a few drops of water come out.
I feed mostly corn meal and once a week or 10 days about a tsp. of vegetable table scraps. That is mostly to give them a place to congregate so harvesting is easy. I started with 4000 and feed over 2000 gallons of cichlids twice a week. My numbers seem to just increase. If they are overcrowded breeding slows so I have them split between multiple bins and feed exclusively from one for two weeks then alternate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
It's not dangerous. In fact red wigglers are about a million times safer than aquatic worms. But people want to listen to internet memes.

Anyway, temperature also affects reproduction rate. They reproduce like gangbusters in the summer and slow in the winter. They like some foods better than others. I feed all table scraps and scrap paper. Favorite foods: corn cobs, mellon and rotten spinach.

The size of the bin can also inhibit growth. A guy who knows more than me says that the max capacity of my ~25g rubbermaid is 3 lbs of worms. Start with a pound of worms and you'll have a couple in no time!

Matt

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
yea i would have to say i do vermi composting but i have 3 larger composters fully loaded with red worms. to feed my 3 rays i use 3 4 by 2 by 3 foot vermi composters so i have a havest when ever i need em. that being said i dont only feed the red worms to my rays just a few lbs here and there and when i have pups :) on the upside feeding the worms is free as they eat green waste. if this is the route u want to go just be aware that the system needs time to develop but once started it has a doubling time of 2 months. so for example starting with one lb 1 then 2, 4, 8, 16 in in 6 months time. granted not worms will be large eneuff to feed but it works for me :)

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
yea i agree red worms are both easy safe hell ive even fed SPRING cought wild fish such as perch, large minnow and sunny. but only in the spring wile the watter is to cold for parites and they go crazy for this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store