Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Breeding Mystery Snails....a few questions

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Becca3711, May 29, 2007.

1. Becca3711

Becca3711 MFK Members

Oct 27, 2010
      How long after a mating will a female mystery snail lay her eggs? I know they can stay fertile for months, as I have done some research, but in optimum conditions, what would you say?

Also, do snails mate for pleasure? Because my male gold snail probably does it at least five times a day. But Im not sure which female he gets, because all of my females are identical looking. Also, do female snails have to be "in the mood" to mate? Will they deny a male if he is coming on to her? I have tried looking on places, such as applesnail.net etc etc and have not come up with answers to my questions posted here.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

2. woofy

woofy MFK Members

Jan 6, 2015
      i had mystery snails blue and gold and the blue would breed alot. One day they would be attached to each other , then maybe 3 days later the female would lay eggs come back get attached and go back and lay eggs again . Some clutches got wet because in my attempt to remove them they would fal; :( and once clutches get wet they die. they lay eggs outside so if you see eggs outside check around the tank cuase the snail may have fallen off like mine once did.

3. christopherhicks

christopherhicks New Member

Jun 9, 2010
      how do you tell the mail from the female? I have a black mystery snail and a gold mysery snail. If I was able to tell amle from female I would get a pair of each. Can different colors cross breed? thanks

4. Becca3711

Becca3711 MFK Members

Oct 27, 2010
      the easiest way to tell is to watch when they're mating, because the male will always be on top. You can confirm that the top one is male, because you can see them doing their thing, the 'male part' will be white and almost looks like their siphon, except is on the right side of the body. Its a little shorter and fatter.

SOMETIMES, if you have 2 snails so compare, hold them out of the water, and let their foots face you. Wait until they come out of their shell, and you may be able to tell the difference between a male and female. The male's penis is on the upper right of the body in the shell, right in front of the gill. The female will just have an empty space where the penis would normally be. Hope that helps.

5. Becca3711

Becca3711 MFK Members

Oct 27, 2010
    6. gomezladdams

gomezladdams MFK Members

Feb 22, 2015
      The term mystery snail covers a few snails commonly sold.
      I breed pomacea bridgsii concentrating on purple.
      Ive found A 70% waterchange with water 10f or so cooler gets them laying that night almost every time.