Breeding Projects

Taminik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2023
I’ve kept fish for a few years and I want to dabble into fish breeding, I currently have an Oscar and 4 King Kong parrots that I was thinking about breeding. The Oscar is not sexually mature yet he’s small but the parrots are nearing it. Ik the males are infertile 99% of the time so I would have to find a male of another species to breed. I have 2 female and 2 males. Once I see spawning behavior from them and see that they lay eggs I was thinking about getting a nice flower horn and hybridizing them. But the problem is mature flowerhorns are kinda expensive. I think flowerhorn parrots are really cool looking and would like to breed some of my own. Any suggestions of different cichlids to breed parrots with or tips on breeding parrots?

Taminik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2023
Update I just realized mature flower horns are pretty young the LFS told me the 2-3 yr olds are ready to breed from what I’ve seen online it says around 8 months can someone confirm this?

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
I’ve kept fish for a few years and I want to dabble into fish breeding, I currently have an Oscar and 4 King Kong parrots that I was thinking about breeding. The Oscar is not sexually mature yet he’s small but the parrots are nearing it. Ik the males are infertile 99% of the time so I would have to find a male of another species to breed. I have 2 female and 2 males. Once I see spawning behavior from them and see that they lay eggs I was thinking about getting a nice flower horn and hybridizing them. But the problem is mature flowerhorns are kinda expensive. I think flowerhorn parrots are really cool looking and would like to breed some of my own. Any suggestions of different cichlids to breed parrots with or tips on breeding parrots?
You can go the classic route (RT) or try something new (RM). In both cases, males are inexpensive, and you can also earn money on offspring.

tx chart.jpg

1.JPG

Reactions: Taminik
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store