Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

BREEDING RED BELLY PACU

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by ILOVEOSCARSANDPACU, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ILOVEOSCARSANDPACU

ILOVEOSCARSANDPACU MFK Members

Jun 15, 2006
      HOW DO U TEL MALE FROM FEMALE AND HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR THEM TO SPAWN

2. Honda12

Honda12 MFK Members

May 5, 2012
      Not sure how to tell the sex on pacus. But most likely you will never be able to get them to spawn in the home aquarium. They need a very very large pond and spawn by scattering the eggs and the male fertalize them. They will also eat the eggs.

Most spawning you hear about are on huge fish farms where they enduce spawning and have hundreds of fish spawn at a time so that they still get eggs left over. Plus they are able to seperate the eggs from the fish.

So basically you really don't have a chance of spawning them unless you have a huge pond.

Ps, turn off caps lock

3. Jason

Jason MFK Members

Mar 16, 2007
      I believe some Pacu are bred commercially in ponds for aquaculture purposes in SA however their mature size would likely make breeding them in an average tank about as likely as a pig fly past me on my way to work tomorrow. However some people do have 12 foot long six foot wide tanks so i'm not saying its impossible just improbable.

Would be something to document since some piranha form nests and show some protection (i believe correct me if i'm mistaken please, i think i recall reading that about gold piranha years ago). I wonder if pacu form nests or scatter like most tetras.

Jason

4. fisher12889

fisher12889 MFK Members

Jul 27, 2015
      Why would you want to breed pacu? There cool fish, but what would you do w/ thousands of fish that can grow over 24"?

5. Oddball

Oddball Administrator
      Staff Member

If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
      Today at 2:11 AM
      I've never heard of an aquarium spawning. I've only heard of captive farm spawning.
      Pacus spawn from Oct to June. Females lay from 59,000 to over 400,000 eggs. Pacus are egg scatterers and avid egg-eaters. So, if you were somehow successful in spawning them, in aquaria, you'd have to remove the adults after they're done spawning.
      Pacu farms coordinate the spawn of their broodstock with introduced hormones so all females lay eggs at the same time.

6. cichlid savage

cichlid savage MFK Members

Feb 13, 2012
      Why would you want to breed Pacus despite the fact that they grow to huge sizes they are about as common as beer in a bar?!?!?!?

7. fisher12889

fisher12889 MFK Members

Jul 27, 2015
      Haha thats true, and there cheap too!

8. te9500rpm

te9500rpm MFK Members

Sep 15, 2012
      im sure this guy dosnt know much about pacu's yet.. hey u can buy my pacu's if u love em LOL

i need someone who can give my pacu's proper housing.. never thought having a pacu would be so complicated..

goodluck on the breeding LOL

9. Weasel F.

Weasel F. MFK Members

Apr 12, 2007
      I have just found a guy who has spawned red belly paco's in a home tank. I thought he was full of it but I have alink to his dauthers post on it. I about fell ver and there's even pictures of the spawn.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80508

10. Gee

Gee MFK Members

May 25, 2008
      That post is about Pirhanas.