Breeding Tanganyikan Cichlids

ZHfish

Feeder Fish
Nov 21, 2023
Hey everyone, I’ve had good success in breeding a lot of Tanganyikan species, everything from Moba Frontosas, Furcifers, Tropheus, Cyps, Calvus, etc. I’m just wondering what species are difficult to find that people are looking for that I can breed for profit. Anything and everything is appreciated, Thank You

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone, I’ve had good success in breeding a lot of Tanganyikan species, everything from Moba Frontosas, Furcifers, Tropheus, Cyps, Calvus, etc. I’m just wondering what species are difficult to find that people are looking for that I can breed for profit. Anything and everything is appreciated, Thank You
neutrino neutrino
Milingu Milingu

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I don't know how the situation is in the States but here in Europe at the moment it is a bit difficult to sell Tanganyikan cichlids in a profitable amount.
If you want a bit of a challenge and still make some money with it I would go for Xenotilapia nigrolabiata red princess. The prices are still high compared to other species so you can get a decent margin.
Most Cyprichromis also still sell good.
A friend of mine bred Greenwoodochromis bellcrossi which also sold well but it is really difficult to get them to spawn.
Petrochromis "yellow moshi" also sells good but I guess it is easy to oversaturate your local market because not many people have tanks to keep them.

If you have connection to a whole seller breeding Synodontis can be profitable. I know someone who produces over 1000 S. polli white and petricola per year and easily sells them. S. granulosus should be thecash cow here but they are difficult to breed without hormone injection.
Most money is in Mastacembelus ellipsifer but I guess it is also one of the bigger challenges.

Last edited:

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Did you ever breed callochromis? I’m trying but so far my male isn’t sure if he wants to breed or fight

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Did you ever breed callochromis? I’m trying but so far my male isn’t sure if he wants to breed or fight
If the females are well fed and old enough to breed the breeding should run itself.

What a pretty little fish!!
Indeed. Are very beautifull and elegant fish.
Unfortunatelly I have no picture with the dorsal fin fully showing.

X_nigrolabiata_001_small.jpgX_nigrolabiata_002_small.jpgX_nigrolabiata_003_small.jpg

• Love
Reactions: cockroach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store