Breeding the most rare Faded FH...

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Very nice. Those are healthy looking fish.

GEMCORE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Philippines
www.gemcore.biz
for those who want to know why I post some of the pics from the flowerfish well I only post those fish that I've breeded but not those who are not...
Im a breeder there and join another group.

pmtuneman13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2007
Florida
Mystix212;955032; said:
Flowerhorns are very beautiful cichlids. Much better looking than others.
What bothers me is how people are calling any hybrid a flowerhorn these days. I have a ZZ (Zhen Zhou Luohan). I always thought these were the original flowerhorn. These are the lucky number fish, the fueng shui fish, and still my favorite flowerhorn. Nowadays, people are throwing in texas cichlids for pearling, midas and red devils for red coloring, and only god know what else for what results. I absolutely love the red texas, but I do not think it should be called a flowerhorn, as my understanding of it being a texas and midas cross. I can vouch that these two breed readily and produce some amazing offspring. The nuchal hump is present in both species. So why call it a flowerhorn?

ewok

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Undisclosed Location in SOCAL
am i the only who thinks flowerhorn, luohan and what not are just different names of the same thing? :confused::confused::confused:
they're just hybrids of different cichlids. there are different appearances, but essentially it's kind of the same?
they are good looking fish, don't get me wrong... :popcorn:

pmtuneman13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2007
Florida
ewok;1003704; said:
am i the only who thinks flowerhorn, luohan and what not are just different names of the same thing? :confused::confused::confused:
they're just hybrids of different cichlids. there are different appearances, but essentially it's kind of the same?
they are good looking fish, don't get me wrong... :popcorn:

That, unfortunately, is what is happening to the Flowerhorn namesake. Everyone is mixing the strains, crossbreeding with pure cichlids, and then naming the offspring some type of flowerhorn. Pet stores are labeling fish incorrectly, but that's nothing new in the hobby (that's why this site is great). What is happening has part to do with the FH's willingness to pair off and reproduce with numerous S.A. and C.A. species. Some mixing occurs by accident, but most is on purpose. And with horrible written recordings, who can tell what we've ended up with these days. Even the original Flowerhorn creators left little pedigree. But, undoubtedly, this kind of competition in fish breeding has given us some of the most beautiful cichlids I have ever seen, and many will agree.

Locally, I am finding many hybrids labeled as pure blood (Red devils and Midas, and mainly Trimacs). I have yet to see a pure Trimac in my area, although many B- Flowerhorns have been labeled as such. It is always nice to buy directly from the source. Get to know your breeders.

In frustration, if a fish is a hybrid, can we call it a flippin' hybrid! Don't make your own name up and then sell it to the world under that name with no history attached. If you sell a cross, don't hide your methods of breeding. Include what species were used, and make sure everyone who buys the fish knows the pedigree. What we have here, is a problem in nomenclature. This folk taxonomy is keeping enthusiasts from tracking the progression of certain cichlid species and variants thereof. It has created many arguments worldwide, and even in MFK's forums. :screwy:

Sorry about the rant...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store