Breeding the true parrot

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Thanks. The young fish in the last pic are about 3-4" and about around 7 months of age.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well if anyone has any babies in the U.S. I'd LOVE some! I would prefer to get them smaller (and cheaper) and grow them out myself!

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
They are not hard to spawn at all. When you have a pair, just keep the male from killing the female and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't keep them in less than a 6' tank. You're talking about a cichlid that can exceed a foot long. I'd say 125 is the better option of the two.
Listen to this guy. Don't keep more than 1 in a 4' tank.

They are looking good. From what I have read they take a very long time, like 5 years to mature.
Not true. They can breed when they are barely a year old.

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
They are not hard to spawn at all. When you have a pair, just keep the male from killing the female and you'll be fine.
So true , my male killed the female when she wouldn't spawn again, they had fry on two occasions previously.

He had already killed overnight the other two from my original 4 when they first paired up.

Also mine first spawned at about a year old, the male was about ten inches and the female eight inches.

My Male is now 14 inches and four years old wouldn't keep him in less than an 8 foot tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
Less than a year?! Really? The earliest account I have heard of is notho2000's breeding at around 16 months. The fish I have now are around 6 inches and Im guessing they are around 9 months old (I'm basing this off of the fish notho raised himself pictured above at 3-4" and being 7 months old). I mean I haven't seen anything in regards to even a pair forming but I guess I'll keep a closer eye on it now.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
uh, I didn't say less than a year....I said barely a year. That's when the offsprings of my old pair spawned so I knew exactly how old they were. Can't remember who they did it for...Ryan or Sean or JD?

With this species, the challenge is not water or food or light or temperature. It's keeping a pair in the same glass box long enough. People tend to forget that, in order to get fish to breed, they usually have to be alive.

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
So true , my male killed the female when she wouldn't spawn again, they had fry on two occasions previously.

He had already killed overnight the other two from my original 4 when they first paired up.

Also mine first spawned at about a year old, the male was about ten inches and the female eight inches.

My Male is now 14 inches and four years old wouldn't keep him in less than an 8 foot tank.

What size tank were you keeping them in at the time?

TheBeardedFish07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ohio
uh, I didn't say less than a year....I said barely a year. That's when the offsprings of my old pair spawned so I knew exactly how old they were. Can't remember who they did it for...Ryan or Sean or JD?

With this species, the challenge is not water or food or light or temperature. It's keeping a pair in the same glass box long enough. People tend to forget that, in order to get fish to breed, they usually have to be alive.
Apologies, I got a tad excited when I read "barely a year" and sorta just assumed the best. You have to realize I have been mentally preparing myself for the long haul with these guys. The possibility of breeding them has gone from years away to months.
Seems an upgrade is in order for these guys then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store