Breeding tropical/community fish in 200g pool during summer

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
I used to have lots of aquariums but then we had kids and moved and I took all the tanks down during the move and sold most of them. I always planned to get back into aquariums, but I certainly won't be putting up 10+ aquariums like I used to have. I just don't have the disposable income or time at the stage of life we are at that I used to.

However, I am picking up a great 250g tank I hope to put in the house eventually tobe able to keep some of my favorite bigger fish. And while setting that tank up is further in the future, we spend a lot of time outside in the summer and I had a fun idea to do with the kids. I'm also hoping it will net me some in-store credit to put toward a few of the big, expensive fish I'd like to put in the 250g.

I have a big plastic pool, about 6.5ft in diameter and 12" deep. That comes out to between 200-250g, with lots of surface area. As a project with my kids this summer I'd like to set it up as a pond, and teach them about ecosystems, aquatic creatures and their breeding habits. I want to put several different types of small, hardy, community type fish in that pond that I feel have a good chance of breeding over the summer. They will only be in there June-August because I'm in Wisconsin, but I am close to the lake and a little more temperate (5b gardening zone). I have a great little corner of my house with a wall on the south and east sides. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade, so it shouldn't heat up so much in the afternoon, but the walls of the house passively hold heat and should help create a microclimate and help the temps not drop too much at night either. I plan to fill the pool with tons of plants for filtration and cover for the fry, and with the size and surface area of the pool, the size of fish I want to put in it I don't think I will need a filter, but wondering if should do a pump or a power head with sponge just for water movement. Thoughts?

I plan to fill the water as soon temps are staying above freezing to let algae start growing and also put some leaf litter in to encourage micro fauna. I plan to put substrate on one half and as weather allows I will add lots of kinds of plants and see which ones do well in the pond. I plan to put in Vals, Bacopa, Anacharis, Java and/or Xmas moss, Ludwigia, Amania, Wisteria, Hornwort, Salvinia, Red floaters, and Riccia. Maybe try a few crypts, sag, or hair grass too. Basically one bunch of every kind of plant I think has a good chance of doing well and I'll see what grows well. I'm hoping to have lots of plants to bring it in the fall and maybe even some extras to sell.

Then as the temperature start to rise I want to seed the pool with some daphnia and black worms and cherry shrimp. I know from experience CS don't need a heater and breed well. We have very few mosquitos here, but should eventually have some larvae from them as well. So I hope to have plentiful food sources for the breeding fish, as well as any fry they produce.

Reactions: tlindsey

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
As far as fish go, I'd love some suggestions from anyone who has done a similar type of setup in a similar climate, especially if your fish bred for you.

I'm mainly interested in fish with different types of interesting breeding behaviors I can teach the kids about, fish that are hardy (even with the microclimate and with a large pool I'm sure there will still be temperature swings) and cheap (in case they don't handle being outside well). I also want them to be desirable/in demand enough that if they do reproduce well I won't be stuck with way too many, and can sell the extras or trade them in for in store credit. I will talk to my local aquarium store guy because he does buy locally bred fish and probably has a good idea what types of small fish sell fast.

For "fish" this what I'm thinking

African Dwarf Frogs. I have some that are bred locally available and I know from experience they are very hardy and very tolerant or cooler temps and/or temp swings. I would be tickled pink if I just had a pool full of them at the end of the summer.

White Clouds - kind of a no brainier. Hoping to get a decent size school. One of my favorite schooling fish.

Emerald Dwarf Rasbora or Celestial Pearl Danios. These are probably more expensive than I'd prefer, so I may not do them, but I think they'd do well and would likely breed.

Some kind of livebearer - I'm thinking either Guppies or Swordtails. I guess Platys might be an option, I just personally don't like them as much.

Corydoras paleatus. Open to some other variety, I just know these are readily available, cheapish and tolerant of lower temps than some other Corys, and are fairly easy to breed.

A few pairs of Labyrinth fish. Paradise Fish make the most sense, I just personally don't love them. I've heard of people having success breeding Bettas outdoors in the summer in my climate, so I'm strongly considering that. The only gourami I'm really a fan of are Pearl Gouramis which I'm assume are not a great option. But maybe I would consider a different gourami or PF if I know they will do well and sell well if they breed.

A cichlid pair? Ciclids are some of my favorites, so a setup doesn't seem complete without some. But there are so many to choose from it's hard to narrow down, and if I wanted a chance of them having babies I need to get a mature pair locally and I don't know what might be available. Obviously Gymnos are a clear option, but guessing I won't find a mature pair and basically the pool will be at close to tropical temps most the summer so I'm sure some others would be options. Open
to suggestions.

Reactions: tlindsey

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I have spawned many cichlids outside in summer. Most Central Americans can handle temp swings around Pittsburgh. Swordtails, Mollies, Guppies have all done will. Shrimp in 5 gallon buckets with an airstone have gone from 12 to hundreds in a season. Green terrors and various apistogramma species went very well last summer.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I used to have lots of aquariums but then we had kids and moved and I took all the tanks down during the move and sold most of them. I always planned to get back into aquariums, but I certainly won't be putting up 10+ aquariums like I used to have. I just don't have the disposable income or time at the stage of life we are at that I used to.

However, I am picking up a great 250g tank I hope to put in the house eventually tobe able to keep some of my favorite bigger fish. And while setting that tank up is further in the future, we spend a lot of time outside in the summer and I had a fun idea to do with the kids. I'm also hoping it will net me some in-store credit to put toward a few of the big, expensive fish I'd like to put in the 250g.

I have a big plastic pool, about 6.5ft in diameter and 12" deep. That comes out to between 200-250g, with lots of surface area. As a project with my kids this summer I'd like to set it up as a pond, and teach them about ecosystems, aquatic creatures and their breeding habits. I want to put several different types of small, hardy, community type fish in that pond that I feel have a good chance of breeding over the summer. They will only be in there June-August because I'm in Wisconsin, but I am close to the lake and a little more temperate (5b gardening zone). I have a great little corner of my house with a wall on the south and east sides. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade, so it shouldn't heat up so much in the afternoon, but the walls of the house passively hold heat and should help create a microclimate and help the temps not drop too much at night either. I plan to fill the pool with tons of plants for filtration and cover for the fry, and with the size and surface area of the pool, the size of fish I want to put in it I don't think I will need a filter, but wondering if should do a pump or a power head with sponge just for water movement. Thoughts?

I plan to fill the water as soon temps are staying above freezing to let algae start growing and also put some leaf litter in to encourage micro fauna. I plan to put substrate on one half and as weather allows I will add lots of kinds of plants and see which ones do well in the pond. I plan to put in Vals, Bacopa, Anacharis, Java and/or Xmas moss, Ludwigia, Amania, Wisteria, Hornwort, Salvinia, Red floaters, and Riccia. Maybe try a few crypts, sag, or hair grass too. Basically one bunch of every kind of plant I think has a good chance of doing well and I'll see what grows well. I'm hoping to have lots of plants to bring it in the fall and maybe even some extras to sell.

Then as the temperature start to rise I want to seed the pool with some daphnia and black worms and cherry shrimp. I know from experience CS don't need a heater and breed well. We have very few mosquitos here, but should eventually have some larvae from them as well. So I hope to have plentiful food sources for the breeding fish, as well as any fry they produce.
Welcome aboard

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
I have spawned many cichlids outside in summer. Most Central Americans can handle temp swings around Pittsburgh. Swordtails, Mollies, Guppies have all done will. Shrimp in 5 gallon buckets with an airstone have gone from 12 to hundreds in a season. Green terrors and various apistogramma species went very well last summer.
I don't want anything real big, so I'm thinking of maybe Rainbow Cichlids or Sajica if I can find them. I guess I also just don't know how much being next to a south wall but shaded in the afternoon will affect temps. Average summer temps for June - August/early Sept are 70s-80s during the day and mid-low 60s at night. Generally colder in June than July and August. We are close the Lake Michigan, so generally the day doesn't get as hot or the night as cold as even 15 minutes west of us. I'm guessing then since the average daily temps are like 68-72 that that will the the temp of the water, but maybe a bit warmer if the house acts like a microclimate that way I hope it does. I love Keyhole Ciclids, so part of me wants to try them, but I'm thinking they may need more warmth

Last edited:

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
Ohhhh.. now I'm wondering about Festivum... I know they are from Paraguay which is a bit cooler and my LFS has a big group of mature ones

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I don't want anything real big, so I'm thinking of maybe Rainbow Cichlids or Sajica if I can find them. I guess I also just don't know how much being next to a south wall but shaded in the afternoon will affect temps. Average summer temps for June - August/early Sept are 70s-80s during the day and mid-low 60s at night. Generally colder in June than July and August. We are close the Lake Michigan, so generally the day doesn't get as hot or the night as cold as even 15 minutes west of us. I'm guessing then since the average daily temps are like 68-72 that that will the the temp of the water, but maybe a bit warmer if the house acts like a microclimate that way I hope it does. I love Keyhole Ciclids, so part of me wants to try them, but I'm thinking they may need more warmth
Do myrnae
Good in colonies, prefers cooler water for spawning, can handle warmer or colder
Not very aggressive and will not kill smaller fish
Good to breed in captivity as they are endangered

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
Do myrnae
Good in colonies, prefers cooler water for spawning, can handle warmer or colder
Not very aggressive and will not kill smaller fish
Good to breed in captivity as they are endangered
Those are really pretty and look similar to sajica. I think with them the difficulty might be finding them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store