Bridge cameras???

Acubillos19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Laguna Niguel
yeah that is true that those lenses will work with newer canon bodies but i am not 100% on that. But what you can do is go to best buy and see if they fit on the new cameras and if they do then you are set!! but if you want video you are going to have to get no older then a 2 year old basic model DSLR. unless you purchase the professional level DSLR. And for auto focus on the video part not many DSLRs will focus continuosly the best advice i can give towards that is get either the 28mm 1.8 <-- (lense aperture) or 50mm 2.0 i believe. the lenses that dont move are the best for video and the lower the aperture the better. lets in more light AKA speeds up the shutter speed when you are trying to take pictures in darkers areas :headbang2

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I found someone selling a canon 400d for pretty cheap. Problem is the 400d doesn't have live view. Is live view necessary for fish photography?

Acubillos19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Live view is great but most people prefer the view finder that are in photography.. I would like both myself but you would be happy with just the view finder...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nooooo olympus or fuji film they suck....picture quality has nothing to do with megapixels. It has to do with the lenses... The sensor.. Etc
Megapixels is just so you can enlarge the picture to a ridiculous size and keep the clarity...
If you stick to nikon or canon.. You will be happy.
You have a price range?

If Olympus sucks so much then how did I take THIS?

Ambitious Spider by Wire Man, on Flickr

Can't argue with that clarity. No post processing.

Have you thought of looking into CSCs? The Olympus PEN system is pretty impressive. My dad recently bought the Oly OM-D EM-5 and it produces some jaw dropping images. The Sony NEX line is pretty mice, too.
As far as fish photography, I'd go with the Olympus option. Their mirrorless cameras have the fastest auto focus on the market (faster than my DSLR).

I rarely use my live view. I mainly use it for video or for tricky angles (I'm fairly short). It's useful for field photography if you're trying to photograph a small plant or animal that's behind a poison ivy patch that you don't want to lay down in.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
live view is something that is more interesting to someone whose vision isn't good, which makes looking through small viewfinders a PITA.
However, while using the live view feature, the camera can't take shots as quickly as it does when that is off. so you might not use it as much as you'd thought you would.

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I already have some lenses so I've decided to go with a dslr. I'm now looking into the canon 350d or 500d if I can find one cheap enough. I found a 350d body for $100.

I have a canon EF 28-80mm lens and a EF 100-300mm lens. Both from a pretty old canon eos film camera. What are these lenses used for? macro? telephoto? Are they good for fish pictures?

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Acubillos19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Laguna Niguel
If Olympus sucks so much then how did I take THIS?

Ambitious Spider by Wire Man, on Flickr

Can't argue with that clarity. No post processing.

Have you thought of looking into CSCs? The Olympus PEN system is pretty impressive. My dad recently bought the Oly OM-D EM-5 and it produces some jaw dropping images. The Sony NEX line is pretty mice, too.
As far as fish photography, I'd go with the Olympus option. Their mirrorless cameras have the fastest auto focus on the market (faster than my DSLR).

I rarely use my live view. I mainly use it for video or for tricky angles (I'm fairly short). It's useful for field photography if you're trying to photograph a small plant or animal that's behind a poison ivy patch that you don't want to lay down in.
Not all olympus.. sorry i take it back.. What camera is that? With what lense?
Nice macro shot
But he doesn't want to spend much money lower level olympus don't seem as good as canons or nikons from my experience..

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The camera is just a tool, its the lens you use and the photographers skills that whats sets pictures apart...

Invest in a decent body and save your money for some nice lens if you want to take good pics... also a lot of practice will also help...

A lot of people tend to get caught up in all the gadgets that a camera may come with, but forget that if you don't have an eye for photography, then no matter how good the camera is, the pictures will still suffer to some degree...

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Good call on picking a cheap entry-level DSLR over a crappy P&S. As to your question about the 28-80mm and 100-300mm lens, the difference is focal length. The 100-300mm has a longer zoom for telephoto shots (sports, events, wildlife, etc). The 28-80mm will be what you use most of the time for everyday shooting. It will cover the basic range.

For taking pictures of fish, what matters most is good lighting, not the lens. To get the right amount of light for the best quality pictures, you'll need to buy a speedlight (flash) that you can place above the tank. Aquarium lights alone are never enough for good quality photos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store