Bringing dats to the US from Thailand

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Too bad the would be owners of all those dats that died in transit didn't know any better.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
If shipped correctly, tigers aren't any more difficult to ship than any other fish. This is from quite a few vendors that ship large tigers all the time. The key is to not put them in a bag but rather a plastic container with a bag as a liner. Datnoids spines can and will puncture a bag causing the water to leak out. Just my 2 cents. Datnoids are among the hardiest fishes i've kept so I can't imagine why they wouldn't travel well if packaged correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's what I was planning to do. I wanted to buy a big cooler and have 3 bags of 3-4 small dats in each one. I wasn't sure how well they travel, but they have to be at least easier than fish like pbass that are really sensitive to low oxygen.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^put some battery powered air pumps in the bags in the boxes, hell if you wanted to get really into it put a plastic bottle around the output of a pump and fill it with BB material from thailand.. little temp filter lol

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
I'd imagine getting through customs wouldn't be easy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ICHIBAN TROPICAL FISH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Steeler city
it not go to work because you need a license to imports them in , wild life need to take tax money so they wont let any fish or pets travel in US just by carry them on airplane , if you really want to do this , ask the seller had or know any shipper in thailan and make sure you show them how to pack it right , i able to get them in , i can work for free a few box , all i need 4pc NTT size 15 inch for my collection LOL

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If shipped correctly, tigers aren't any more difficult to ship than any other fish. This is from quite a few vendors that ship large tigers all the time. The key is to not put them in a bag but rather a plastic container with a bag as a liner. Datnoids spines can and will puncture a bag causing the water to leak out. Just my 2 cents. Datnoids are among the hardiest fishes i've kept so I can't imagine why they wouldn't travel well if packaged correctly.

This isn't true

A few fish don't travel well lince cat and big tigers are the only ones I have had problems with

When you put big tigers in poly boxes or bags they lay on there sides

You would also need to starve them for a week min as they tend to be sick in the box

I just moved a 14" for 3 hours it hadn't had food for 3 days it was sick in the box sick meaning it throw up in the box the water was like milk

Not saying it can't be done but it's risky

The ST I got shipped at 12" was 1 per box and still had problems

It's not a case of doing it right or wrong they just don't travel well above 10"

Robg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2011
schaumburg il
This isn't true

A few fish don't travel well lince cat and big tigers are the only ones I have had problems with

When you put big tigers in poly boxes or bags they lay on there sides

You would also need to starve them for a week min as they tend to be sick in the box

I just moved a 14" for 3 hours it hadn't had food for 3 days it was sick in the box sick meaning it throw up in the box the water was like milk

Not saying it can't be done but it's risky

The ST I got shipped at 12" was 1 per box and still had problems

It's not a case of doing it right or wrong they just don't travel well above 10"

I have a 20" st and i transferred in a cooler and made it perfect in 7 hoursView attachment 973333
Here's a pic right when we put him in the cooler and you can see the cooler behind the st...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I took a similar length trip to go get and bring home one of mine as well.Coolers are best to transport a big dat if you are going to go and get it yourself but they probably won't hold up well in shipping as they are not watertight...I think T1 was referring to the problems with shipping big dats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store