Broken Cycle Not Recovering -PLEASE HELP

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Sorry 4d3, I did reply yesterday, but for some reason it didn't go through... I think most of your queries have been covered now. as to water changes, I fill an 80 litre container with water approx. the right temp, adding seachem safe as its filling to allow it to mix, then I pump it straight into the tank from the container. I do this 3 times and that's my 25% change (the container never totally empties as I cant drain it below the level of the pump)Because im running a sump the water thoroughly mixes in the main tank before it gets chance to get to the bio media

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Sorry 4d3, I did reply yesterday, but for some reason it didn't go through... I think most of your queries have been covered now. as to water changes, I fill an 80 litre container with water approx. the right temp, adding seachem safe as its filling to allow it to mix, then I pump it straight into the tank from the container. I do this 3 times and that's my 25% change (the container never totally empties as I cant drain it below the level of the pump)Because im running a sump the water thoroughly mixes in the main tank before it gets chance to get to the bio media
Hi,

over the last week i did one water change and turned off my filters, the last time i added PRIME was when i did the water change, and i have added nothing to the tank since...I have noticed something strange....

all of my test results are going to zero... I noticed last night the water was going clearer so i did a test and i get:

Ammonia 0.02ppm (Seachem Ammonia Alert)
Ammonia off the chart (with liquid test)
Nitrite 0ppm (liquid test)
Nitrate 0ppm (liquid test)

I have done 3 separate tests at different times and constantly get the same results.....what has happened? has my tank cycled? how is it possible for my nitrite to drop from 5ppm and Nitrate to drop from 80ppm with no intervention....as i saidthe last time i added PRIME was when i did the water change, and i have added nothing to the tank since!

is that possible?

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Dechlorinators like prime can give positive ammonia reading because it binds and detoxifies the ammonia but the API test kit cannot differentiate between total and free ammonia.

As far as all the other readings being zero that does not make sense unless your all the way back at the beginning of the cycle ammonia ----> nitrite.

When you say you turned your filters off did you turn them back on shortly after? I wouldn't recommend turning them off, if your aging or premixing your water with dechlorinator beforehand there will be no impact at all on the bacteria growth in the bio filter.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Dechlorinators like prime can give positive ammonia reading because it binds and detoxifies the ammonia but the API test kit cannot differentiate between total and free ammonia.

As far as all the other readings being zero that does not make sense unless your all the way back at the beginning of the cycle ammonia ----> nitrite.

When you say you turned your filters off did you turn them back on shortly after? I wouldn't recommend turning them off, if your aging or premixing your water with dechlorinator beforehand there will be no impact at all on the bacteria growth in the bio filter.
my seachem ammonia alert is reading at 0.02ppm for ammonia, and as i said i turned the filters off for 15 mins to allow the new water to react with the prime, then i turned them on again.

I added the prime about 10 mins before adding the new water and that propagated through the filters before hand..since my cycle was broken i have had off the chart readings fr all 3 tests, but for the last few days i have had o ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitirite....

i am very confused as to what is happening!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store