BROKEN GATER, KILL IT OR KEEP IT ?

care for a"special fish"or put it down for its own good?

• Total voters

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
do it's paired fins and caudal fin function narmally? is it feeding at all? it seems to be in very bad shape, but some fish do recover...at a glance it doesnt look like it will recover, but that's a call only you can make (you are the only one interacting with this fish and observing it's symptoms). all we can do is give you our opinions. good luck to your fish.

what size tank do you have this little guy in (if you dont mind me asking)?

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
Tough call, personally, if it looks like it's suffering, ie not eating as much, not swimming etc, it might be best to euthanize. Shibby too, as it's a nice looking fish

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I personally would keep it "IF" it's eating and swimming ok.. If it can't swim or stops eating i'd say time for him to visit the aquarium in the sky...

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
demjor19;1783444; said:
do it's paired fins and caudal fin function narmally? is it feeding at all? it seems to be in very bad shape, but some fish do recover...at a glance it doesnt look like it will recover, but that's a call only you can make (you are the only one interacting with this fish and observing it's symptoms). all we can do is give you our opinions. good luck to your fish.

what size tank do you have this little guy in (if you dont mind me asking)?
The first post answers most of your Q's. It is still eating, but less, all paired fins are unaffected. I am assuming It wont recover, but was wondering if this handicapped state would be acceptable or just agony. It was in a 170 gallon, now in a 75 as it no longer swims at the surface except for occasional gulps of air every now and then.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
John Rambo;1783545; said:
The first post answers most of your Q's. It is still eating, but less, all paired fins are unaffected. I am assuming It wont recover, but was wondering if this handicapped state would be acceptable or just agony. It was in a 170 gallon, now in a 75 as it no longer swims at the surface except for occasional gulps of air every now and then.
this is why we stress growing them out in smaller spaces. small gar tend to dart around in these large tanks and the result is often times similar to what has happened to yours.

if you honestly do not see the fish recovering and if it seems to be struggling to accomplish day to day activities then i would suggest euthanizing it. it's a terribly hard thing to do, but sometimes is just a necissary evil. my longnose went out like this...bummed me out big time. again...good luck to you both.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
im with jordan 100% up till the point, id also consider long term houseing plans for ya gar? if u can deal with it for life then yes helping it if poss is the morally correct thing to do. Like jordan said its down to your best judgement and only u can make tha call....

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
I would put it down...It is your choice of course, but if its eating less and cannot move its back end, I would say he is going to be suffering and it would be hard to make him do that for years to come. I agree the bigger tank could have caused him to get up enough force to break his back off the glass. If he is at this state right now and appears as though he will not recover my opinion is he will be best euthenized.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store