Brown carpet sharks?????

crister13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2009
New Jersey
I was recently at the adventure aquarium recently and in their touch tank they had what they called brown carpet sharks. I looked it up online and about 3-5 different species came up. They were roughly 1 foot long and looked like little brown nurse sharks kind of. Some were brown, some were a tannish gray. What could they be??? They also had epaulette sharks in a tiny tank that were not full grown but they looked fine. What size tank would they need??? Has anyone seen what I mean??????? For the rank size I meant for both sharks. Thanks.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - there's at least 3 species of Bamboo sharks that could be called "Brown Carpet Shark". The 1st is the Brown Banded Bamboo (C. punctatum) which grows to about 3.5ft (106 cm). The 2nd is the Arabian Bamboo (C. arabicum) which reachs about 2.5ft (76cm) in length. And the 3rd is the Gray Bamboo (C. griseum) which also reachs about 2.5ft (76 cm).

And then every species of Nurse Shark is also brown or brownish is color. BTW - both the bamboo sharks and nurse sharks are considered to be Carpet Sharks.

As what size of tank a bamboo shark needs to be kept with an epaulette - it really depends on the species of Bamboo and epaulette we're talking about.

crister13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2009
New Jersey
They were in the downstairs touch tank next to the stairs with smoothhounds, coral cat, marbled bamboos, and "brown carpet sharks". I was talking about tank size for a PNG eppie. Also for an arabian and gray bamboo.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
In the photo - yeah - it's a young Brown banded Bamboo, and a sub-adult White-spotted Bamboo.

As for the tank size for a PNG Eppie and an Arabian or Gray Bamboo - I would say go with at least a 480/500 gallon (for life). That way you have enough room for both sharks, at their full adult size.

crister13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2009
New Jersey
What about for just a PNG, arabian, or a grey?

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Truthfully - I wouldn't suggest anything less than a 480-500 gallon (8ft long x 4ft wide x 2 ft tall) tank or pond for even keeping a single adult PNG eppie or Arabian or Grey Bamboo, for it's entire life span in.

While juveniles of these shark species may be able to be kept in smaller tanks . An adult really should have a tank or pond which is at least that size, to allow them to a enough space to move around normally in.

crister13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store