Brown Diatoms or...?

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Weird. I wonder why the driftwood was coming apart.
I think it was just really old... it’s been soaked and dried out multiple times and pieces would pull off super easily. I scrubbed it for a while and it just kept dissolving so I won’t be putting it back in.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
So, a day after removing that piece of wood and adding two layers of 100 micron filter pads to the FX4 and the tank looks pretty much the same... not sure what to do, as the filtration should be more than capable of removing the floating debris.

EE1B85AA-08A2-4663-828C-6DDEBE657DFC.jpeg

Last edited:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It may take a few days before it all goes away since it is being distributed throughout the water column by filter outputs. Add some additional fine media to the AC filter as it's intake is higher in the tank and should trap additional debris.

Reactions: MFM

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
If it's heavy enough to sink, you might be able to also turn the filters off for half an hour, let it sink and then do a water change gravel vaccing just above the surface.

But, I don't really both with little particles floating around. I've never had any luck getting rid of them.

Reactions: MFM and deeda

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
For the particles you could try a powerhead with a 2L bottle attached to the input stuffed with floss. Just cut the bottom off the bottle so the powerhead easily picks up suspended particles. You can change the floss out daily or however often you have to.

Love your geos ;) But they also like to kick up the debris while sifting the sand.

That thing you circled is most definitely poop. My pleco poop drifts to the lowest points in my tank and it will ball up together. My plecos poop A LOT!!!!

Reactions: MFM and deeda

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
That thing you circled is most definitely poop. My pleco poop drifts to the lowest points in my tank and it will ball up together. My plecos poop A LOT!!!!
My pleco doesn't seem to poop a lot. But occasionally a big turd about the diameter of my pinky and an inch long appears out of nowhere, floats around the tank. Until it gets sucked into one of the wave makers, makes a quick "BRRT" as it's diced up and little poochunks are blasted around the tank.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
If it's heavy enough to sink, you might be able to also turn the filters off for half an hour, let it sink and then do a water change gravel vaccing just above the surface.

But, I don't really both with little particles floating around. I've never had any luck getting rid of them.
Yeah I did this too... vacuumed the sand some more and it’s looking solid now.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
For the particles you could try a powerhead with a 2L bottle attached to the input stuffed with floss. Just cut the bottom off the bottle so the powerhead easily picks up suspended particles. You can change the floss out daily or however often you have to.

Love your geos ;) But they also like to kick up the debris while sifting the sand.

Yeah haha it did seem to be Pleco wood poop mixed with the driftwood falling apart... I do have the one Panaque and now they have the manzanita to chew on which is a lot newer and harder which should help out.
And yeah the geos definitely like to keep the sand clean haha

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
My pleco doesn't seem to poop a lot. But occasionally a big turd about the diameter of my pinky and an inch long appears out of nowhere, floats around the tank. Until it gets sucked into one of the wave makers, makes a quick "BRRT" as it's diced up and little poochunks are blasted around the tank.
Must be a big Pleco hahaha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store