Buffalo head cichlid

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I'm interested in Buffalo head cichlids but am not finding much information online besides the copy and pasted care sheets that I don't trust. Currently I have a 90 gallon tank with mostly peacocks and a few haps, a featherfin synodontis and a bristlenose pleco. Would a small group of these work in there? Do they prefer groups or singles? Any info or people keeping them with advice is greatly appreciated! If i don't respond too quickly I'll be unavoidably offline for a week or more but will return.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
These cichlids come from rapids in the Congo basin. where water is softer than the rift lakes, and has a slightly lower pH. (mid 7s)
If I was going to keep them now, I would probably not keep them in a tank with rift lake cichlids, but in a long tank with a couple power heads, moving a strong current along the length of the tank. Or at least add a powerhead to the 90 to create a high flow area along the substrate.
If you have that in your 90 now, it might be worth a shot.
Many aquarists I know that have tried them, found them susceptible to fungal and bacterial diseases over time, if not provided with those highly oxygenated, high flow conditions.
Although the shot below is not from Africa, (it is a river in Panama where similarly rheophillic species are found) it has the same type conditions Steatocranus are found in.
IMG_2850.jpeg

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Thanks a lot Duanes! I us a canister so the output shoots up to the surface from an inch or so below it agitating the surface across the length, then down the far side and provides a steady currnent, but I wouldn't call it strong. I could always add a powerhead too on the far side to increase that flow, would that increased flow still be ok for the riftiies? Good information to chew on though, I appreciate it.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Cal I have a single Buffalo in my mixed African tank. I do have a eheim canister spray bar at either end, Fluval FX6 in the middle and a powerhead on one end. The Buffalo head seems to be doing well. The other cichlids leave him alone and he spends most of the time perched on the rocks at the bottom of tank.

C7F26735-8020-4F51-A5B2-A2751EA38F91.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal Amari

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Awesome, he looks good! You have a lot more flow than I do currently with just 1 Fx4 on my tank, but good to know my options.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store