Buffing acrylic fish tank

j-lor

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Milwaukee
I got a 200g acrylic for free but its scratched pretty bad. I purchased 400,1000 and 2000 grit. Is that enough or am I missing a grit? I already purchased novus fine scratches. Thanks for any tips.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I got a 200g acrylic for free but its scratched pretty bad. I purchased 400,1000 and 2000 grit. Is that enough or am I missing a grit? I already purchased novus fine scratches. Thanks for any tips.
jjohnwm jjohnwm
wednesday13 wednesday13

Reactions: j-lor

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Only one way to find out lol… just send it… 400 is a good place to start. Go through ur grits, polish… and if u can still see scratches u can step down below 400 if needed. Use an orbital sander for the best results. Ive done small tanks by hand with the rubber blocks. I do not recommend using palm sanders. They leave more scratches than ur trying to get out. Buffers also work well for the final polish steps. Mcguiers makes assorted grit car polishes that work well and also a general type plastic polish thats cheaper and comparable to novus for bringing the tank to clear again after grit/paper. Its a tedious process and ull find u can kinda go as far as u want too for clarity/work.

Reactions: j-lor and tlindsey

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I purchased a kit from Amazon a few years ago that had 400-12,000 grit. If you polish sequentially it works really well. An orbital and some water too. Not a bath but enough to stuff the dust away.
Nice score too on the tank!! Built my fish room on free tanks.

j-lor

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Milwaukee
Only one way to find out lol… just send it… 400 is a good place to start. Go through ur grits, polish… and if u can still see scratches u can step down below 400 if needed. Use an orbital sander for the best results. Ive done small tanks by hand with the rubber blocks. I do not recommend using palm sanders. They leave more scratches than ur trying to get out. Buffers also work well for the final polish steps. Mcguiers makes assorted grit car polishes that work well and also a general type plastic polish thats cheaper and comparable to novus for bringing the tank to clear again after grit/paper. Its a tedious process and ull find u can kinda go as far as u want too for clarity/work.
My sander is a palm sander. Lol. I'll look into buying an orbital. Thanks.

Reactions: fishguy1978

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Good advice above. I recently worked on my 450gal which had small scratches along most of the inside front, from bottom to about 6 inches up. I used down to 250 grit, then 600 grit, 1200grit, then I jumped up to 2500grit since that's all the hardware stores here had. Then I used Novus #2 fine sratch remover. For this final polishing, I found that thick wool pads worked better than sponge pads. It is a tedius process. I spent maybe 15 hours total. I got the scratches out but the end result is that the entire area is still slightly hazy.

Judging from the time I spent, I would need about 20-25 more hours to get the acrylic looking clear or at least more clear than it is right now. I just filled the tank back up and the haziness I saw isn't really apparent when the tank is filled.

My conclusion is that for the minor sratches my tank had, I would choose not to even mess with it again next time. It is a time consuming process. Good luck.

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
My sander is a palm sander. Lol. I'll look into buying an orbital. Thanks.
cant hurt to try in an area or the back wall and see how it goes since thats what u have. I know for sure whatever one i have did not work well lol… I ended up just doing the tank by hand with a rubber block just to learn the process.

j-lor

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Milwaukee
cant hurt to try in an area or the back wall and see how it goes since thats what u have. I know for sure whatever one i have did not work well lol… I ended up just doing the tank by hand with a rubber block just to learn the process.
[/QUOTE

Does the same wet dry sand paper for palm work for the orbital one? Im going to grab one tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store