Build a crayfish trap...?????

Manny Stiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Pburstrom;774415; said:
I used these back in NY. $10 not bad Throw some dry dog food in and wait a day.
http://www.eburch.biz/minnow_traps.htm

View attachment 80187

I have a couple of these traps. They are magic and VERY easy to use!!! Plus they make you feel like you're on "Deadliest Catch"... Ok, not realy...

Depending on the waters where you set them you can catch several dozen per trap in a few hours... here in Arizona crayfish are illegal to sell as bait and aren't sold live even for food. You can catch them all you want but "technically" you aren't even supposed to take them home even for food purpose!

And I use leftover chicken and fish bones with a little meat left on them from dinners. Messier than a can of catfood but MUCH more effective and cheaper! There's not any sensible point in spending money on bait for an omnivorous scavenger...

snailmaster

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2008
Santa Fe-New Mexico
get a tumble weed a pice of bacon and some string. tie the bacon to the middle of the tumble weed and the sting to it and toss it into the water wait a while and pull it in and tou should have a lot. hope im not repeating a trap but i didnt want to read through them all. hope this helps

flaringshutter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
socal
www.myspace.com
Pburstrom;774415; said:
I used these back in NY. $10 not bad Throw some dry dog food in and wait a day.
http://www.eburch.biz/minnow_traps.htm

View attachment 80187
These are excellent traps - I was given one by an old fisherman on a camping trip and it's fantastic. I made three others in an afternoon - they cost me about $5 total. Plastic hardware store mesh and zip ties. Form a cylinder and two cones, put one cone in each end of the cylinder and secure with zip ties. Cut three sides of a rectangular hole, making a flap, in one side and use a twist tie or just a piece of rope. This will be your emptying/baiting hole. Fish guts work best as bait. Be sure to check your local regulations - some states have restrictions such as no trapping at night, etc.

Sanjo Eel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
OH
Connor0729;756870; said:
just catch them with your hands. i'm 13 and i started catching them when i was like 7 or 8. you just grab 'em behind the pinchers so they can't get you. sissy:hitting: :j/k:
LOL that's the way we used to catch em when I was your age! Most of the kids these days are wussies LOL

Sanjo Eel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
OH
snailmaster;2083007; said:
get a tumble weed a pice of bacon and some string. tie the bacon to the middle of the tumble weed and the sting to it and toss it into the water wait a while and pull it in and tou should have a lot. hope im not repeating a trap but i didnt want to read through them all. hope this helps
That's a really neat trap! Nature provides....

Gene0514

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Staten Island, NY
What I did when I went fishing in a lake in NJ was to take a normal fishing rod, put a nice piece of raw chicken or fish on a size 6 hook, and just dip the bait between the rocks near the shore. I ended up catching about ten, 3 or 4 were big ones. Its really easy and took me about 1/2-1 hour.

rye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2008
Tennessee
used to make them just like elgo_sweettooth's free and work really good. we got the best results by poking small holes in the bottom of the jug and pointing the end they go into downstream, the holes in the bottom let the water flow through and swish the scent downstream and so they approach from that direction is why you point it that way.

Same concept as a muskrat funnel trap or a catfish slat trap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store