Building My 15,000 Gallon Mini Mega Tank

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
No, not yet. First step, maybe happening this spring, will be a 4 car "tandem" garage (two cars in front of two more cars). I plan on putting an L shaped tank along the long wall of the garage and the short part of the L on the back of the garage. I'm going concrete with three 8X4 acrylic panels, two for the long side and one for the short side.

FYI: I'm in the pre-planning/dream step lol
[
/QUOTE]

Sound awesome.

With your background skills the tank will rock.........

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Thanks I have a picture of my Dad years ago with a meter Dorado just fished out! And now it's really hard to import them to Portugal.

Show us the picture please...

Dorados are not all that common in my area either.

Jeff Rapps in the USA had some last month when I was talking with him.

2 stores locally have had one each in stock over the past 2 months. Both were about 17-18" (45cm)

Both had large lumpy throats........Is this common among dorados?

warman98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2010
Portugal
Show us the picture please...

Dorados are not all that common in my area either.

Jeff Rapps in the USA had some last month when I was talking with him.

2 stores locally have had one each in stock over the past 2 months. Both were about 17-18" (45cm)

Both had large lumpy throats........Is this common among dorados?
I'll try and get you the picture.

Your lucky if I ever can get any they need to come directly from there and imports there only happen once a year. You should get one yourself story is it's an amazing fish which is very regarding to keep.

I really wanted Rapps Dorado's think he still has some, maybe get one from him ;)

The lumps in their throats from what I know are normal and can vary from dorado to dorado like with arowanas, but I am not sure.

By the way top 10 species you keep, and advise? :)

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Amazing how long your fish live. How are the schomburkii? Are there any Distichodus in the 15k?

Like all hobbyists I lose fish also.

But I really try to get the max longevity possible for my fish.

My daughter helped me clean out one of the 180 g tanks today and we caught the Peckolita vittata. she is the clown pleco that will be 32 years owned later this month.
Since she was full grown when I bought her it is impossible to even guess how old she actually is.

The Myleus schomburgki are doing well. I did lose one in 2011. He had injured one eye from possibly swimming into something in 2009. It got infected and swelled up badly but he continued swimming and eating with the shoal of 15 other wide bars. Then in the summer of 2011 he died. He was purchased in 1997 and was the first of the group of 10 I purchased that year to die.

I also have one Myleus micans, 3 Myleus rhomboides, 6 Mylopus (Myleus) rubripinnis (bought a total of ten in 1996 & 1997 period)IMG_4342.JPG and one narrow bar schomburgki in the tank.

The only two Distichodus are both sexfasciatus. One purchased in 2001 and the other in 2007. My oldest D. sexfasciatus was in the big tank and it died in the summer of 2011. I had bought that one 1997.

Do you keep any of these species?

IMG_4342.JPG

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I'll try and get you the picture.

You should get one yourself story is it's an amazing fish which is very regarding to keep.
I think we all would like to see the picture so please post it.

I actually do have a dorado Salminus brasiliensis.

It's about 15" long and it is in this 15k tank.

PIE.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
I have never kept any of the Myleus or Distichodus species as my LFS is rather limited in fish. I am also limited in tank size (largest is my 55 gallon). I know it is kind of small, but right now I am restricted for the largest tank I can have.

My oldest fish ever is my Platydoras costatus which is near 7 years owned (forget exactly when I bought it) and going very strong. It hides most of the time, but it comes out when there is food to be taken. I've had several smaller tetras for 5 years that are well today. I feel fish deserve a long and happy life in captivity.

Is the Boulengerochromis microlepis still in there and how is it?

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Is the Boulengerochromis microlepis still in there and how is it?
I just have the one female and she is doing great. Loves pellets and eats small bits of herring and mackerel. She is wild caught and I got her through Jerry Draper at The Tropical Fish Room in Brantford Ontario.

Possibly picks off a few baby cichlids.

She is one of the few fish that stands up to the dorado. DSC_9865.JPG

One of the distichodus and the alpha male black bar will chase her sometimes.

DSC_9865.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store