Building My 50,000 Gallon Monster Mega Tank

goldclownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Ohio
arapaimag said:
Glad to see you got around the site. Do you have a gold clownknife? If so please post a few pics of him on this article so I will see it. thanks.

Did you go to the photo gallery and see the other 60 pictures that went along with the article on the list of fish in the 15,000 ?

The quick link is at the bottom of that article just after the list of fish.

Yes I do have a gold clownknife, i'll try and put a pic on here im still new to the site so not really sure how all this works just yet. If I mess this up, I did add two pics of him on my personal gallery.

I think I must of missed the photo gallery link on the mini mega's page, i'll have to go back and take a look.

misc. 001 cropped.JPG

misc. 002.jpg

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
goldclownknife said:
Yes I do have a gold clownknife, i'll try and put a pic on here im still new to the site so not really sure how all this works just yet. If I mess this up, I did add two pics of him on my personal gallery.

I think I must of missed the photo gallery link on the mini mega's page, i'll have to go back and take a look.
Great pictures you really got the hang of it fast..........It took me weeks and then Neoprodigy really did the work.

Great sign on the tank. Contact MFK and they will send you free non sticky MFK signs.

Hey he looks really NICE :thumbsup: How long is he and what size tank do you keep him in.

I like the fact you decorated his tank. I only wish I could do that in my tanks.
My Clownknives are not golden its just the flash that made mine look that way. I had 4 in the mini mega at one time all of them 24 to 28inches. I still have the 2 they now know to avoid Dracula (My male stingray).

You are a nice addition to this site :D

goldclownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Ohio
arapaimag said:
Great pictures you really got the hang of it fast..........It took me weeks and then Neoprodigy really did the work.

Great sign on the tank. Contact MFK and they will send you free non sticky MFK signs.

Hey he looks really NICE :thumbsup: How long is he and what size tank do you keep him in.

I like the fact you decorated his tank. I only wish I could do that in my tanks.
My Clownknives are not golden its just the flash that made mine look that way. I had 4 in the mini mega at one time all of them 24 to 28inches. I still have the 2 they now know to avoid Dracula (My male stingray).

You are a nice addition to this site :D
Hey, Oh ok even if yours are regulars they still look amazing. Oh the other two got a lil to close to Dracula, eh. ;) Thanks... The sign was a joke gift from my dad we found it at a rest stop on some highway, haha. He is about 18-20inches in that ball park currently. Unfortunately he is currently housed in a 55gallon :( I need to get him into something bigger and am currently on the look out for deals on bigger tanks. I'm new to this whole monster fish thing, and kind of by a lack of info from the pet store when I purchased my Gold clown knife... What size tank would you recommend upgrading him to? Also what is a good price to expect to pay for various sized tanks? I don't want to get ripped off but also want to be able to know if a deal is to good to be ture... such as perhaps there is something wrong with a tank... I would appreciate any insight you have :)

shmeva_riles_7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Swift Current Sk
That is the sweetest thing i have ever seen u are a rebel :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
goldclownknife said:
Hey, Oh ok even if yours are regulars they still look amazing. Oh the other two got a lil to close to Dracula, eh. ;) Thanks... The sign was a joke gift from my dad we found it at a rest stop on some highway, haha. He is about 18-20inches in that ball park currently. Unfortunately he is currently housed in a 55gallon :( I need to get him into something bigger and am currently on the look out for deals on bigger tanks. I'm new to this whole monster fish thing, and kind of by a lack of info from the pet store when I purchased my Gold clown knife... What size tank would you recommend upgrading him to? Also what is a good price to expect to pay for various sized tanks? I don't want to get ripped off but also want to be able to know if a deal is to good to be ture... such as perhaps there is something wrong with a tank... I would appreciate any insight you have :)
I am going to cop out on the question of tank size. Always go for the biggest you have room for and you can afford............
I have not bought any tanks in a while. However looking at sale flyers it seems that $1.50 a gallon are deals for new tanks. If you want the tank long term I suggest new over used.

Used ones really vary in price from next to nothing to 75cents a gallon. I think the others on this site will be able to help further on prices.

One potential problem with used is the general lack of knowledge as too how old they really are. The silicone can become a problem, so if buying used, I suggest you make sure it is a relatively new.

I hope you are able to get a new bigger tank soon your clown will love it. :D

goldclownknife

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Ohio
Alright thanks man. I'm thinking about building a tank, just it may be easier for me to just buy one. We'll see what happens and how it all works out. If I wanted to build say a 6' x 2' x 2' tank, how thick should the glass or pelxi-glass be? If you happen to know, I would be greatful for any insight, since you obviously have the experience building tanks...

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
goldclownknife said:
Alright thanks man. I'm thinking about building a tank, just it may be easier for me to just buy one. We'll see what happens and how it all works out. If I wanted to build say a 6' x 2' x 2' tank, how thick should the glass or pelxi-glass be? If you happen to know, I would be greatful for any insight, since you obviously have the experience building tanks...
Although I have built ply wood tanks with glass fronts, I have only assisted a glass tank builder named John Pettersen (now lives in Virginia) on a few glass tanks. This man is amazing building tanks. He built 2,000 tanks working at a manufacturer in one year once. He is an engineer and unfortunatly is too busy in that field now to work with or keep fish (Had over 140 tanks of his own in his house).

He uses 1/2 glass on the sides of a 180 and either 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 on the bottoms. He recommends GE1200 silicone. He built my 360 8x2x3 using 3/4 and my 800 (8x4.5x3) using 3/4. He is the fellow pictured installing the glass in my 50k+ he also installed and largly built my 15k. I have never built a plexi or acrylic tank. I bought 2 acrylic tanks (500 & 600)from Aquart near Columbus Ohio (Rich Gould - owner) that I saw in advertisement in FAMA.

Good luck with your plans & hope this helps :woot:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store