Building Plywood this summer, need some tips.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Hey all. Well I’ve decided I need to bite the needle for the big boys and I’m going to have to build a plywood. Now I’m preparing for this, have been for a while now. I don’t want to go into this blindly. I’ve made a smaller diorama of what I expect it to appear like. I was wondering for those who have made em, what nails (brand of wood nails, self tapering or not) what wood glue, how pond armor worked for you, and most importantly how to source a nice glass/acrylic panel for cheap. I’ve heard of people who have gotten super nice and thick panels for their tanks some nearly for free. I’ve called glass shops near me and the quotes are somewhat outrageous. So maybe I get a tank with +1/2 glass and get that off the tank and use that? But then that poses the risk of maybe not being up to par as a new one would be, with wear and tear, etc. So any suggestions/advice would mean a tremendous amount to me. Thanks all. I’ll get a more concrete plan for size/dimensions soon!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Hey all. Well I’ve decided I need to bite the needle for the big boys and I’m going to have to build a plywood. Now I’m preparing for this, have been for a while now. I don’t want to go into this blindly. I’ve made a smaller diorama of what I expect it to appear like. I was wondering for those who have made em, what nails (brand of wood nails, self tapering or not) what wood glue, how pond armor worked for you, and most importantly how to source a nice glass/acrylic panel for cheap. I’ve heard of people who have gotten super nice and thick panels for their tanks some nearly for free. I’ve called glass shops near me and the quotes are somewhat outrageous. So maybe I get a tank with +1/2 glass and get that off the tank and use that? But then that poses the risk of maybe not being up to par as a new one would be, with wear and tear, etc. So any suggestions/advice would mean a tremendous amount to me. Thanks all. I’ll get a more concrete plan for size/dimensions soon!
Nails? Nails??? No nails, man, screws all the way. Plain Elmer's wood glue works great. Pre-drill all holes, apply glue, tack together lightly with a couple finishing nails to maintain alignment and then drive 'em tight. Pond Armor works great and applies easily, and there are lots of other 2-part epoxies available nowadays as well, some with very low VOC content and thus less hazardous fumes...although you still need ventilation. GE Silicone I for glass sealing/adhesion, and I also run a nice bead around alll interior seams just because. :)

My tanks have all been 24 inches in height, and have never needed fibreglass reinforcement. Euro-braced all around the top, with front-to-rear cross braces as needed. For taller tanks...I can't say.

My last piece of half-inch glass was purchased (couple years back) from a local glass shop, 46 x 22 inches with edges buffed, less than $150 Canadian.

There's a truckload of threads on MFK detailing builds like this, full of interesting ideas. First step IMHO would be to read......all of them! :)

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Nails? Nails??? No nails, man, screws all the way. Plain Elmer's wood glue works great. Pre-drill all holes, apply glue, tack together lightly with a couple finishing nails to maintain alignment and then drive 'em tight. Pond Armor works great and applies easily, and there are lots of other 2-part epoxies available nowadays as well, some with very low VOC content and thus less hazardous fumes...although you still need ventilation. GE Silicone I for glass sealing/adhesion, and I also run a nice bead around alll interior seams just because. :)

My tanks have all been 24 inches in height, and have never needed fibreglass reinforcement. Euro-braced all around the top, with front-to-rear cross braces as needed. For taller tanks...I can't say.

My last piece of half-inch glass was purchased (couple years back) from a local glass shop, 46 x 22 inches with edges buffed, less than $150 Canadian.

There's a truckload of threads on MFK detailing builds like this, full of interesting ideas. First step IMHO would be to read......all of them! :)
Thank you for this. Would you mind specifying on the ventilation aspect of this?

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thank you for this. Would you mind specifying on the ventilation aspect of this?
I meant that you require excellent ventilation, and possibly even the use of a respirator, when applying the epoxy sealer. Some are better (or worse) than others, but all of them produce hazardous fumes during application and curing. I build most of my tanks indoors, right where they will be set up, so my construction is limited to nice weather that allows the use of open windows and powerful exhaust fans to clear the air. Even better to build outdoors if weather allows, but that might limit the size of tank you build.

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
I meant that you require excellent ventilation, and possibly even the use of a respirator, when applying the epoxy sealer. Some are better (or worse) than others, but all of them produce hazardous fumes during application and curing. I build most of my tanks indoors, right where they will be set up, so my construction is limited to nice weather that allows the use of open windows and powerful exhaust fans to clear the air. Even better to build outdoors if weather allows, but that might limit the size of tank you build.
Thank you. I have read that. Lucky for me I am in a garage with a side door and two large floor shop fans. So I plan on just making it as you mentioned right where it will be so I do not have to move it all. I appreciate this. Do you recommend 24" height right? I was planning on 30" tall but if 24" doesn't require me to add fiberglass I won't.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thank you. I have read that. Lucky for me I am in a garage with a side door and two large floor shop fans. So I plan on just making it as you mentioned right where it will be so I do not have to move it all. I appreciate this. Do you recommend 24" height right? I was planning on 30" tall but if 24" doesn't require me to add fiberglass I won't.
I'm not necessarily "recommending" 24-inch height; I'm just saying that I have built a bunch of tanks that height, have never used any fibreglass, and have never had a problem caused by its lack. The fibreglass junkies always state that the stuff adds a huge amount of strength to the build, but...how strong is strong enough? How far overbuilt does something need to be?

I'm dead sure that careful construction techniques are far more important than building something that is designed on paper to survive orbital re-entry.

Same thing with glass thickness. I have always used 1/2-inch glass on my builds, based upon the numerous recommendations I read before I built the first one (which was something like 40 years ago) and also upon the complete satisfaction it has provided me over the years. Would 1/2-inch be sufficient for, say, a 30-inch height? Beats me; I guess it would depend upon what safety factor makes you feel comfortable. I've just never ventured any farther than 24 inch heights.

Like I said: read, read, read some more. Amass as much information as you can...but you still have to make the final choice for yourself.

Reactions: surfermike915

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Thank you jjohnwm jjohnwm . You’re a fountain of wisdom for this hobby!

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Where would you go to find 1/2 glass?
A lot of folks, myself included, have purchased glass "table tops" for use on plywood aquarium windows. Since they are mass produced it is almost always cheaper than ordering a custom cut glass panel. Ive seen many sizes available on amazon, think i ordered mine from glasstopsdirect several years ago.

Other than that most glass shops will order 1/2" glass cut to size. Worth checking your local shops, you may be able to get it done pretty cheap there.

Ive ordered from onedayglass several times before. They are hit or miss.

You could try glass.com but they usually handle larger orders, sometimes its hard to get just one piece shipped to your door. But they are usually very helpful there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store