Bullhead ID

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you guys are awesome, thats what I thought but the yellows around here are like that light olive yellow, so it was hard for me to believe I got one that dark in color, thanks all for the ID, thats why this site is awesome :headbang2

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our pleasure.

Fish usually don't look the same in captivity as they do in the wild. All differs. Water composition, food, space, temp (also as a function of the depth and of shade versus full sun), lighting, hiding facilities, stress level, sun light cycle, substrate and "sky" color, "cloudiness", water depth, turbidity, oxygen, wind and currents, etc.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Our pleasure.

Fish usually don't look the same in captivity as they do in the wild. All differs. Water composition, food, space, temp, lighting, hiding facilities, stress level, sun light cycle, etc.
Plus, a lot of the time what we see in the 'wild' are fish that have just been pulled out of the water after having their jaw impaled on a (to them) huge, sharp object. What you normally see on a fish when you pull it out of the water is actually the fish's stressed colors; which are normally lighter and washed out than their content, happy coloration.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I agree completely, but now that I know Marty is a yellow I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in coloration from the lake yellows and the creek yellows that I catch. Marty is from Lake Arthur (PA aquarists will know Moraine State Park haha) then right down the road not 5 miles I catch yellows that are actually yellow or light light olive green. It has to be the difference in environment around here.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Rob,why don't you fix the thread title?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree completely, but now that I know Marty is a yellow I can tell you there is a HUGE difference in coloration from the lake yellows and the creek yellows that I catch. Marty is from Lake Arthur (PA aquarists will know Moraine State Park haha) then right down the road not 5 miles I catch yellows that are actually yellow or light light olive green. It has to be the difference in environment around here.
Yeah the yellows around us are fairly light colored. I caught my biggest yellow not to far south of lake Arthur and he darkened up real nice once in my tank.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yeah the yellows around us are fairly light colored. I caught my biggest yellow not to far south of lake Arthur and he darkened up real nice once in my tank.
yup, same here, caught a 12" yellow in slippery rock creek. I didnt keep him but he was that brilliant olive yellow color some of them get.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
It's a large Cory catfish that has been stretched to the point of looking like a Bullhead. You can tell by the length of the gillrakers on this specimen.Lol!!! You guys got it right ,again. Lellow Bullheaded Catfish. They are in every mudpuddle down here in the land of the south.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store