Bumble Bee Grouper

thebigfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
chatsworth, ca
This is the only one of this species I have ever kept, so I really dont have a comparison point for the growth rate. It was raised from 2" in a 125g and housed with a variety of groupers until it grew to 8". Since then (almost 2 years) it has been in an 800g with a 14" Red Emperor Snapper.

marshy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Little Red Dot
thebigfish said:
This is the only one of this species I have ever kept, so I really dont have a comparison point for the growth rate. It was raised from 2" in a 125g and housed with a variety of groupers until it grew to 8". Since then (almost 2 years) it has been in an 800g with a 14" Red Emperor Snapper.
I have managed to successfully convert mine to take prepared market prawns as its main diet. What do you feed yours?

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
I had one and he ate everything and anything. I know you will find them in fresh water on line but i strongly suggest you keep him salt. They are not meant to be in fresh and it does damage to them in the long run. Mine was rehomed because he got to big for my 180 in under a yr. When i got him he was only 3 inch. Within a yr he was 20inch. He now resides in a 500 gal by himself because he had killed all the other groupers in the tank. Wonderfull fish i love him dearly. I go visit him all the time. He is still growing. When the time comes me and his new owner are hopeing we can find a zoo or something to take him. But thats a hard one to do.

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
I know some people that have converted theirs from marine to freshwater, apparently this just needs to be done gradually over a few months gradually lowering the salt levels etc... Some of the FW ones are still very big so I dont think it affects them too much, although I could be wrong of course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store