Burbot (Lota lota maculosa)

Inland Aquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2023
if you don't have an expensive cooler, keeping a burbot in an aquarium makes no sense...
30 degrees of celsius in the house during the summer is too much for a cold water aquarium with burbot.
Who's house is 30C inside? very few in the US at least. We have 100F days here but my facility stays below 70F without any air conditioning at all. my water temp has never been above 65. Of course my raceways are large and partially below grade but keeping water temps in a tank below 70 in most locations can be done with a simple circulation line that draws water though an exchanger with either air blowing on it or an submersion on the outside (think of a simple heat pump concept). If you are running a filter you already have the means to circulate a line. But I do agree that for some it make no sense to keep burbot or any species that have unusual characteristics, in a an aquarium or otherwise. My burbot live in the same conditions as my Koi. The difference is my Kio go inactive in the winter. The burbot don't

Reactions: jjohnwm

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
That's something I've never seen in an aquarium. Are you using a chiller? I know they prefer cold water but I don't know what their upper range is for thriving specimens.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store