Business Loan/Investment

armaggedonx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
Glasgow
www.herpforum.com
This is a very broad question but ill try narrow it down as much as possible.

I am currently breeding reptiles from home and selling the babies on for profit, simple lol but explaining this to investors etc is extremely hard without just naming species to basically just fill the box.
Is anyone on here a business owner or anything like that who'd be able to give advice?
Also is anyone exceptionally good at English who reckon they would be able to write me, not quite a business PLAN but a good detailed paragraph or 2 which I could send to investors and business investment companies?

The money is for buying:
"Better" equipment, whoever doesn't know reptiles, its pretty simple, a normal wee heat bulb can be £8 but a decent large, warranty bulb can be £80+
More breeding pairs, trios etc
and so on

Here's a specific question lol:
Is it possible to get an investment/loan and have NO monthly repayments but have a yearly number to reach? As most people know, most reptiles breed once a year and give birth/lay eggs once a year so you get no money basically except the odd left over baby throughout the year but a bit of a lump after summer once the babies are all away.

And for those who are going to pick at my idea itself, I have 2 shops already which WILL buy every single baby I get (obviously at a bulk price type of thing) but it gets them off my "mouths to feed list".
Hoping if I prove to myself etc that I am able to make a substantial income from this type of thing I hope to open an exotics shop, not fish, not reptile but exotics as I also like my fruit bats, raccoons, porcpines etc etc lol.

Cheers to anyone who actually makes it through my boring post XD
Keith

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Are there any schools that offer business degrees near you? A lot of times students have to write a business plan so that's a good place to get one done for free

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

armaggedonx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
Glasgow
www.herpforum.com
Are there any schools that offer business degrees near you? A lot of times students have to write a business plan so that's a good place to get one done for free

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Not that I know of, ill look into that actually. This is what I mean, there isn't a PLAN, the plan is to breed reptiles. The only planning thing about it is how to house them and decide when I feel ready to invest larger amounts in rarer reptiles etc

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Not that I know of, ill look into that actually. This is what I mean, there isn't a PLAN, the plan is to breed reptiles. The only planning thing about it is how to house them and decide when I feel ready to invest larger amounts in rarer reptiles etc
You will need a plan.

I understand what you are doing, but no bank or institution is going to hand you money without you providing a business plan. The business plans states everything about the business and tells them exactly how you are going to run the business. You will have to show them what you are putting into the equasion, i.e. livestock, current capital, and/or $$. They will expect you to put in your fair share. Then you need to calculate the financials, overhead expenses, variable expenses, taxes, etc, and then come up with a gross profit numbers and a net profit numbers. This will show how you plan on being profitable and also how and when you will repay them. These are the mere basics of getting small business funding. I could go on for hours. LOL

I don't know of any current loans, even through the SBA, that will give you a no collateral, non-repayment loan. You will need to give back money in some fashion on a recurreing basis. Generally, they prefer sooner rather than later.

If the business is small scale right now and you have some gauranteed sales, then I suggest you budget closely and make investments into the business with all of your profit. Just assume for the first five years of the business that you will mke nearly nothing for all of your hard work, but it will pay off in the long term.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I'd find a book on business plans at the local library. The process of formulating a business plan has value in itself - it forces you to think through your costs, revenue model, risks, etc.

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store